SCStepho

433 240 342 ESSEX This is what the little sticker on the valve
1/15/90 1K506AA cover says. There is a bigger sticker on top
that says the following.

Prototype Engines Ford Engine Division
X4SC3.8SC-1-30174M5
Engine Manufacturing
.Development Department

Does anyone out there Know how I can decode more than the date built.
At leaste I know that it was the prototype for the late model cars. I was worried about the possibility of it having one of the early duracast cranks.
Thanx for any help yoy have
Stephen

Is the code in the VIN an "R".? If it is, then it not a Duracast crank. The Duracast had a "C" for the engine code.

433 240 342 ESSEX This is what the little sticker on the valve
1/15/90 1K506AA cover says. There is a bigger sticker on top
that says the following.

Prototype Engines Ford Engine Division
X4SC3.8SC-1-30174M5
Engine Manufacturing
.Development Department

Does anyone out there Know how I can decode more than the date built.
At leaste I know that it was the prototype for the late model cars. I was worried about the possibility of it having one of the early duracast cranks.
Thanx for any help yoy have
Stephen

Whats even more weird is my dad works there....it's called EMDO. I can ask him if you'd like?

433 240 342 Essex

Yes Any Info You Can Sqeeze Out Of Your Dad Would Be Greatly Appreciated
Stephen

I'm not sure, but I think that the 1K506AA is part of the Ford part number. (E9SB-1K506-AA or something like that.) The rest, I don't know. I think the small sticker is normal, but the large "Prototype" one is not.

Anything made in 1990 or later will have a forged crank. The 94 motors have a variety of upgrades that may be of interest to you but the only way to find out is to take it apart.

- beefier rods
- bushed pin ends
- windage tray
- higher compression
- high volume oil pump

Late model engine

Will it ever run properly on the 89XR7 or 90SC computer. Or will I end up splicing one of the late model comp. into this car if at all possible.
Thanx Stephen

I haven't done this myself, but I think that you can run the later engine just fine on the 89-93 computer, as long as you keep the older injectors and maybe some sensors (like crank and cam position).

Thanks. I think I am just going to pull the motor out of the car and pull the oil pan off(unless there is another way to decyper late vs. early model engines)and check to see if it has windage tray, and bushinged rod ends.
If so put her all back together and use a late model ecm and all sensors. Will I be able to do this being that the late model M5R2 has a different gear ratio?
Thanks Stephen

Thanks. I think I am just going to pull the motor out of the car and pull the oil pan off(unless there is another way to decyper late vs. early model engines)and check to see if it has windage tray, and bushinged rod ends.
If so put her all back together and use a late model ecm and all sensors. Will I be able to do this being that the late model M5R2 has a different gear ratio?
Thanks Stephen

My father said that the X4 stands for 1994. Hopefully that just not the valve cover. The engines that are in that facility are for experimental purposes only. They are not to be used in production cars. So assuming that engine IS actually out of that place, and its not just the valve cover, it shouldn't have happened. AND someone would be in deep trouble if that was found out.

Maybe take the top of the SC and see if you have coated rotors? Assuming you have the stock SC on there....

Last edited:
If it's got the balancer on there, you can look at the interrupter wheel for the crank sensor. 94/95 have a different design than 89-93 as they have EDIS, and the early models just have DIS.

Coated rotors

I have had the top off of the super charger and yes it does have coated rotors, also the SC case is not powdercoated but bare. This engine has way more jam than my other SCs. Is there any way for him too find out more about the motor without getting him or me into any trouble. Like horsepower and tourque figures or anything like that. Thanks alot for the info you had I greatly appreciate it Stephen

Back