PDA

View Full Version : rebuild cost?

Supercoupe218
04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
i am thinking of having the engine in my super coupe rebuilt.... has anyone rebuilt there engine lately? about how much did it cost you? you do it your self or did a shop do it? i don't have all the tools necessary to pull the engine or do i have the skills to put a engine out of one of these.

so please share with past threads or info you may have

thanks

Scott Long
04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
It could be done re-using stock parts for under $1000. Especially if all you do is deck the heads.

You could get new bearings, gaskets, rings, and a BHJ balancer, hone the block, deck the heads, and re-assemble with stock rods/pistons.

Would run like new.

Or you could bore the block, h-beam or i-beam rods, forged pistons, ported big valve heads, cam regrind, new lifters, new pushrods, new freeze plugs, new cam bearings, then while it's out upgrade other stuff. Cost= how fast do you want to go?

I can't stress enough how important it is to get a new balancer when you tear down the engine. Might as well change the crank and cam sensors too if nothing else.

Supercoupe218
04-02-2007, 06:42 PM
It could be done re-using stock parts for under $1000. Especially if all you do is deck the heads.

You could get new bearings, gaskets, rings, and a BHJ balancer, hone the block, deck the heads, and re-assemble with stock rods/pistons.

Would run like new.

Or you could bore the block, h-beam or i-beam rods, forged pistons, ported big valve heads, cam regrind, new lifters, new pushrods, new freeze plugs, new cam bearings, then while it's out upgrade other stuff. Cost= how fast do you want to go?

I can't stress enough how important it is to get a new balancer when you tear down the engine. Might as well change the crank and cam sensors too if nothing else.

well the thing is there is a noise of which i think it coming from the bottom end of the engine that has been getting louder and louder lately and i doubt its a good noise...it just doesnt sound healthy...it goes away after about 5 mins of running... its got a 141 or 143k on it so within the next year im sure something with blow....

at first i thought it was just the exhaust rattling but i dont think its that....and the though out bearing is leaking pretty good...

Supercoupe218
04-02-2007, 07:22 PM
well the thing is there is a noise of which i think it coming from the bottom end of the engine that has been getting louder and louder lately and i doubt its a good noise...it just doesnt sound healthy...it goes away after about 5 mins of running... its got a 141 or 143k on it so within the next year im sure something with blow....

at first i thought it was just the exhaust rattling but i dont think its that....and the though out bearing is leaking pretty good...

think i founf the problem....a big stick was wedged between the tranny which was rattling againt the floor...the noise is gone...but i still like to think about have the top end rebuilt.... mildly ported heads...maybe a mild cam and a couple bolt 'ons..who knows....gonna start saving my money and see what i can come up with later this year......

hey and im going to be putting on dynomax super turbo mufflers soon...for a resonator i was thinking about using 1 dynomax bullet muffler in its place.... think this will sound bad?

Scott Long
04-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't know how the bullet would sound never heard one. I know you do need a resonator of some sort though or it will sound like shiznizzle.

Supercoupe218
04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I don't know how the bullet would sound never heard one. I know you do need a resonator of some sort though or it will sound like shiznizzle.

yeah i was thinking the bullet..and there cheap so if it didnt sound good im not out much...

Jacob_Royer
04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
My car had new heads when i bought it so they really didn't need anything... My block had to be bored .20 over... rods reconditioned crank turned .10 under... My machine shop gave me parts at price so this is what i am getting..

Machine work:

Block dipped magnafluxed and bored .20

Crank turned .10 under

Rods reconditioned

Cam bearins installed

Freeze plugs installed

Crank rods and pistons installed

Parts:

All Bearings
Pistons
All gaskets
Freeze plugs
ARP Head studs
Oil pump rebuild kit
Timming chain set

Total $850 + tax supposed to be done before the end of the week...
Also got my heads checked out for free......

Cam kit from dave is going to run me about $275

I'm porting the heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, inlet plenum, blower...
Cost $75 ($25 for black & decker dremel and $50 for burs and various other bits)

Getting new motor mounts and water pump i figure another $200

Also getting magnaflow resonator and having downtubes made this will run me around $300

Total $1700

That leaves me about $400 left over for whatever.... What else should i get??

ThunderDave
04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
it goes away after about 5 mins of running

Darn sneaky sticks. :eek: :rolleyes: At least it wasn't a noise coming from the motor. :)

Supercoupe218
04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Darn sneaky sticks. :eek: :rolleyes: At least it wasn't a noise coming from the motor. :)

yeah....i just hope the motor holds together well once start driving it....

David Neibert
04-03-2007, 04:24 PM
That leaves me about $400 left over for whatever.... What else should i get??

A new balancer would be at the top of my list.

BTW, a rebuild kit for the oil pump is nothing more than a couple gears and some orings. Besides that you would be better off upgrading to the late model pump (Melling M246). Unfortunately the surface that wears most often is the timing cover (serves as the end plate for oil pump), so it may need to be replaced too.

David

Jacob_Royer
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Were is a good source for the good balancers?? also are the $125 factory replacements that advance autoparts sells any good? The cam i'm getting is the following:

.491" lift and 215/220 duration

Wonder what kind of power i will be making? I already have a 5% blower OD and IC fan...

rzimmerl
04-04-2007, 07:58 AM
The only places to get balancers are from Ford or BHJ, the balancers listed by other stores are not the right ones. They are either the NA or 94-95 model balancers they list not the 89-93 style.

Scott Long
04-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Listen closely! Do not skimp out on a balancer or re-use your old one once it has been removed. I learned the hard way and you don't want to end up having to drill into the crank to remove the broken chunks. It was a pain in the you know what to get the broken piece of the balancer off.

Spend the money on the BHJ and a new crank sensor and you won't ever have to worry about the balancer again.