sub box

Supercoupe218

dose anyone know if you can still buy new replacement subs for the supercoupe? if not or if so can a "better" sub be put in the sub enclosure that is there?

i belive to replace the sub you need a 6.5 inch sub
i have seen some people who have replaced them just do a search for it

somewhere i saw step by step pics

I just did mine about a month ago. Replaced it with this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-027

Under 20 bucks and 6 ohms like the factory amp puts out. Simple to do, but difficult to get the box in and out if you are a bigger person (6' tall, 240 here) Having a folding backseat is almost a requirement for install/removal. I stuffed to box with the poly-fil they sell on that site and left out the old foam baffle and the fiberous fill they had in the box. Works pretty good once it gets broken in. Here is the link to the step by step (The Pioneer sub does not require you to cut the box like the JL would as the dimentions are the same as the stock one...)

http://mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/jbl-sub-rebuild/subwoofer-rebuild.html

I just did mine about a month ago. Replaced it with this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-027

Under 20 bucks and 6 ohms like the factory amp puts out. Simple to do, but difficult to get the box in and out if you are a bigger person (6' tall, 240 here) Having a folding backseat is almost a requirement for install/removal. I stuffed to box with the poly-fil they sell on that site and left out the old foam baffle and the fiberous fill they had in the box. Works pretty good once it gets broken in. Here is the link to the step by step (The Pioneer sub does not require you to cut the box like the JL would as the dimentions are the same as the stock one...)

http://mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/jbl-sub-rebuild/subwoofer-rebuild.html

were you happy with the base it puts out? do you have the factory headunit?

and what do you mean by poly fill?

edit nvm see the poly fill but what is the point in putting it in there?

edit...ok i see...so the connections for this are the same as the stock one so its just a pull the old one out put the new one in...also dose anyone have an suggestion for what speakers i should go with? (gonna replace the rears firsts) right now there stock...i mainly listen to country and rock so...if that helps any...... will 6*9's fit in the rear?

Last edited:
Happy with it, but I never heard it any other way. My car has the JBL system in it and was reconditiond by Paul Protos here a month or so back. I am factory all the way around. If you are looking to upgrade the rear /door speakers too, I'm not sure youi will need the sub back there. If you were running stock before (JBL) than there are internal crossovers that block all the bass out of the interior speakers, and the sub fills it in. If you go with a good aftermarket head unit (Pioneer is a good economical powerful one) and some decent 5x7 or 6x8's you won't need the sub anymore..

Happy with it, but I never heard it any other way. My car has the JBL system in it and was reconditiond by Paul Protos here a month or so back. I am factory all the way around. If you are looking to upgrade the rear /door speakers too, I'm not sure youi will need the sub back there. If you were running stock before (JBL) than there are internal crossovers that block all the bass out of the interior speakers, and the sub fills it in. If you go with a good aftermarket head unit (Pioneer is a good economical powerful one) and some decent 5x7 or 6x8's you won't need the sub anymore..

thats what i have...

pic....

SCnewradio-3.jpg

SCnewradio-4.jpg

SCnewradio-5.jpg

Need an XM tuner for that thing?? I think I have a couple around here somewhere in the box (I have upgraded a few times since I have had it) They might even still have the IP Bus cable in there to hook righrt into the back of that thing... If you are interested I'll look for it. They are Pioneer boxes.

Need an XM tuner for that thing?? I think I have a couple around here somewhere in the box (I have upgraded a few times since I have had it) They might even still have the IP Bus cable in there to hook righrt into the back of that thing... If you are interested I'll look for it. They are Pioneer boxes.

nah we have xm tuners in every other car we have...and hardly ever use them..im either listen to the radio..or listening to the engine...lol

does it skip going over bumps? cuz my sony one skips like a motha... mostly with regular cds and not with mp3s, maybe its my too stiff suspension? anyone got a skipping problem with any cd player brand?

I ahve always had a problem with Sony. Ever since they went with this XPlod series or whatever, they've been crap. I have never had a problem with Kenwood. Used them for the last 15+ years now...... geesh im old :eek:

Back