PDA

View Full Version : Got some stuff accomplished this week...

Gregthespy
04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, it's been just a day over a week since I've had this car and I believe I've seen more of it than most ford techs have ever seen an SC.;)
I first started by fixing the cracked valve cover and resealing the upper I/C tube, as well as installing a B&M ripper shifter.(day 1 & 2) Then I fixed the drivers side window regulator at about the same time. Later in the week I noticed a pretty bad vibration in the engine under heavy load so I got to thinking it was probably a miss/bad motor mounts/balancer so I started by swapping the wires with a spare set Rick gave me with the car (which ended up being regular 3.8L wires :rolleyes: so I tried to put the livewires back on) then the weekend came and this is where I made major headway.
Friday night rolled around and I gathered the items I would need. I had a spare set of solid motor mounts, new correct set of wires (no plugs due to having to order them) the drivers side valve cover gasket and new shiney cover. I got in there around noon on Saturday (boy it felt good to sleep in!) and found my first challenge a stubborn, soon to be broken collector flange stud on the passengers side exhaust. yup... SNAP! oh well, I'll pillage one off the 95 'motor later (which I have headers for anyways). so I get the passengers side mount done and onto the drivers while removing the upper I/C tube I found the culprit for the Vac leak Rick and I were both searching for, turns out the teflon gasket set he orderd and installed actually was regressive, as it was slipery and slided out to one side of the flange while tightening down the coller nut, so out that went and trusty RTV went in (hasin't failed me yet!)
So I get her all buttoned back up on Sunday and replaced all the vac lines I could find with fresh ones, while I had the intercooler out I threw on an 8" I/C fan to be wired up tomorrow.all I had to do was go get the manifold off the '95 motor at me bro-in-laws place. So I hop on the bike and drive out there with a backpack grabbed the manifold off the motor and while I was there I thought it would be nice to get rid of the cats so I hacked the old exhaust up from the 95 (which will be replaced anyways) which had already had the cats removed and pillaged the downtubes.
I get back and fiigure it's too late to mess with hacking up the stock exhaust on the 89 so I figured I'd be safe and leave the cats on....

Wrong! Duh, me being the SC expert and owning both an early and late model SC forgot to realise that the downtubes are diffrent on the 2 for a reason, the collectors are about 1.75" off from the location of the early collectors. So I bust out the sawzall and hack the stock exhaust apart and got it fitted nicely. fired her up and she ran beautifully for a while then it was back to bad vibrations under load as well as feeling like the plugs were fouled up under boost.
So I call it a night and put the tools down. This morning I get to work, staying out of boost all the way and ticked it's driving like a dog. and on the way home I swing by advance auto and pick up my autolight double platnium plugs and while I was there also picked up a set of O2 sensors as the ones on there looked origional. climbed under the car when I got home and found that one of the plug wires had worked it's self off. that was the cause of the miss!
I swapped out the plugs and o2 sensors and put some fresh dilectric grease on the plug boots and made sure I got the pressure out of the boots and fired her up.... she runs like a top now! Absolutely flawless!:D ;) The scarry thing was that 2 of the plugs were so loose that I think that I could have removed them by hand!
Hopefully my new BHJ balancer I ordred will arrive soon as well as the Poly rear knuckle bushings, then it will be lowering time, I'm going to do a complete bushing overhaul hopefully as well.

So that's been my week, it's funny how much stuff didin't go back on this car...
EGR Valve
Cats
Power steering bracket
Lower intercooler bracket
Rear alternator bracket
bypassed t/b heater hose
misc bolts that I deemed unnessisary (I/E nuts to hold heater hoses to the exhaust manifolds)
And I'm sure a bunch more that I can't remember right now.

But she's running great and it feels good to be back in an SC again!

SuperChicken89
04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Man you have been busy:D In your spare time you want to finish my 69 Cougar restoration?

Good to hear the SC is running better. Keep up the good work Greg.

Bryan

Sweet90SC
04-03-2007, 12:04 AM
In my defense...:rolleyes:..the plug wires were new in the box from CarQuest I never even looked at them....and ...IN MY DEFENSE!!!!!....we were supposed to tighten the coller nut?:o :D ...glad to here she is running like she did when I bought her and I didn't screw it up too bad....People on Drugs should not do complicated automotive maintenence...:p ...great job Greg I knew you could get her going right again I still can't get over the timing of that window letting go...;)

In other car news.....Momma also sold her Mercedes and is now the proud owner of a bright, blue,....bubble....Pics to come

Sweet90SC
04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
In your spare time you want to finish my 69 Cougar restoration?

Bryan

Guess I'm out of the question then:D

the-big-e
04-03-2007, 09:58 AM
People on Drugs should not do complicated automotive maintenence...:p

lol....

I know what you mean.....:rolleyes:

the-big-e
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
People on Drugs should not do complicated automotive maintenence...:p

lol....

Jake
04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
lol....

It's funny b/c you said it twice :D

Sweet90SC
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
lol....

:p WWWOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

garsc
04-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Are you interested in selling those catless down tubes? I am gathering parts to do some mods on my 94 and shure could use them. Garry

Gregthespy
04-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Are you interested in selling those catless down tubes? I am gathering parts to do some mods on my 94 and shure could use them. Garry
Sorry Garry, they are now on the '89 because it was nessisary to use them once I put my spare set of '95 manifolds on.

Woo-Hoo! my Balancer and bushings got here just now, so I'm waiting for the engine to cool down a bit and then I'm changing the balancer and adding a nice alum. zero balanced crank pulley to put my mind at ease.;)

Don't worry about any of it Rick, I knew you didin't know they weren't the right wires, and it serves me right for ripping off the old ones before checking the contents of the box to make sure they were right... and all there. The main tip off was when I poped open the box and saw a nice stubby coil wire!:eek:
Oh, and the teflon gasket I believe was at fault, because I tried and tried again to tighten the collar nut up but the flanges kept pushing the slippery teflon out to one side a bit and I didin't want to take a chance of having it vibrate out to one side while hundereds of miles away from my spanner wrench.:o
Oh yeah, I may just put the alum jackshaft pulley on while I am ripping off belts and such:cool:

Sweet90SC
04-03-2007, 05:53 PM
WooHoo!! you go Greg!!! Sure gonna be sweet when its all said and done...;)

IN the mean time here are a couple of pics of mommas new blue bubble..

Gregthespy
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Nice Rick, Looks good, and looks even better on gas!;) I got the balancer installed today along with the alum pulley, although the alum crank pulley was from my underdrive set which meant that once I installed it my belt was wayyyyyy to long and it required me to put on the rest of the underdrive pulleys in order to take up the slack. I don't know if I will leave them on though as this is my daily driver and I don't particularly like running my water pump and alt. slower than Ford recommends.:o So I may source a shorter belt and get rid of the underdrives once I find a stock size alum zero balance crank pulley.
I also found that the lower 2" of radiator fins are GONE!:eek: :eek: They are corroded away to leave nothing but the tubes.... So I will be picking up some radiator hoses and antifreeze tomorrow and swapping it out with the one you gave me to be proactive.

until then.... we'll see what else arises.

Sweet90SC
04-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Whoa!...good thing I had that spare....and all I wanted was one that wasn,t so crappy of a color....

Gregthespy
04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Welp, I got the radiator hoses today as well as some fresh clamps but when I got home i didin't feel like wrenching, so instead I did some wiring and finished up wiring in the I/C fan, that kept me out of the greasy stuff for at least a day!;)
maybe tomorrow

Flip
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Greg,
Glad to see that you are getting some stuff sorted out on the new SC. Amazing what needs to be replaced on a 89 Super Coupe, looks like you on the right track. Good luck with the fight. :D

Flip
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
WooHoo!! you go Greg!!! Sure gonna be sweet when its all said and done...;)

IN the mean time here are a couple of pics of mommas new blue bubble..

Nice Bubble:D , so this makes up for the mileage of the F-250?

Sweet90SC
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice Bubble:D , so this makes up for the mileage of the F-250?

It would if I could ride in the darn thing....I can't even sit down in it for 2 minutes...I tell ya though finding one with an automatic is a chore..All of them she kept looking at were 5 speeds...and Carla couldn't drive a stick to save her life..Which is ok by me...when to Cobra comes home it's all mine...:D by the way Bryan how comfortable are the Cobras to sit in? I got plenty of time It will be this time next year before I go ahead and buy one..

Which remminds me surgery is scheduled for a week from tomorrow....wish me luck!

SuperChicken89
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
by the way Bryan how comfortable are the Cobras to sit in? I got plenty of time It will be this time next year before I go ahead and buy one..

Which remminds me surgery is scheduled for a week from tomorrow....wish me luck!

How comfortable.... They're pretty good but I have to say the SC is better in the comfort department. The rate I'm going trying to find a Shelby GT 500, I may still have the Cobra this time next year. A good side affect of the Shelby's pricing for 03-04 Cobra owners is their increased resale values. Black's Automotive estimated the value of my 03 at $32,500:D But I'm sure when the Shelby's no longer warrant the added dealer value the 03-04's prices will fall also.

We'll all be thinking of you next week and hoping the surgery goes well!

Bryan

Gregthespy
04-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Alright, So I was taking out the trash and opend my trash can, when I did so I realised I was a diehard SC guy as there were nothing but old SC parts in and around it. So I thought i'd throw them in a big pile along with the stuff I took off and am not throwing away and take a pic of it.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/gregthespy/1989%20Super%20Coupe/P1010105.jpg

I at least found it amusing, and look at that radiator, good thing I tool off the fan to change the balancer and found it when I did!:eek: Oh, and not pictured are all the misc vacumme lines and old plug wires, I forgot to grab thoes.

Sweet90SC
04-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Whew!..talk about timing....Shoulda changed that when I got the other radiator 6 months ago.....

Best thing I see in that pile is that frappin EGR thingy whichahoosit...good riddance...are the tops of my knuckles still on it?

ufdb
04-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Greg,
Glad to hear its running good, and you're happy with it. It sounds like you've turned her into something to be proud of!

Superchicken,
I'll finish that 69 Cougar restoration for you......right after you sell it to me! LOL

SuperChicken89
04-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Superchicken,
I'll finish that 69 Cougar restoration for you......right after you sell it to me! LOL

I don't think there is enough money to make me want to sell my 69 Cougar. I've had it for 30 1/2 years and plan on being buried in it:D All I want is the time to finish it before I'm ready to be planted 6' under.

Nice pile of parts you have there Greg. I'm sure it is only the begining.

Bryan