AOD Adjustment Question

txsc

I replaced my AOD last weekend with a used unit, and still have a slipping problem in OD. It also acts somewhat eratically in other gears; soft engagement, etc.

Question: Since this is a different transmission, do I need to re-set the TV cable before the trans will operate correctly? Are the symptoms I'm having typically corrected with a TV cable adjustment?

The AOD I used was supposed to have been rebuilt recently, and the inside of the pan bears this out. However, it could be junk also. I'm assuming that without a TV cable adjustment, I won't know. There's a good thread going on the Driveline forum right now that has a good explanation of the adjustment procedure and tools, so I should be able to execute if everyone thinks it's a "must".

Anyone??

Thanks,

JD

You definitely need to at least check the tv pressure when you do something like that. Your procedure that you outlined in the Drivetrain section is correct.

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I'll machine up a tool, and get on it this weekend. Hope that fixes it...

Thanks!

JD

As a quicker test, just pull the cable up 2-3 notches from where its currently at and see if it makes a difference. That will increase the TV pressure and the shifts should firm up. With increased TV pressure, the clutch pressure should rise also. In the case of the direct clutch, it might reduce the OD slipping.

This takes about a minute to do. :)

Right or wrong....I simply adjust my TV cable as tight as it will go without limiting the stroke of the throttle linkage (reccomended by Lentech). I would also suggest replacing the grommet in the throttle linkage with the Ford upgrade that consist of bronze bushing and clip pin.

David

Fixed

I fabricated the tool this week at work, and set the AOD today. Works like a champ now.

And, I'd changed the bushing and clip some time ago, as it looked pretty weak. Turns out my fix is almost exactly like the Ford work-around.

Thanks!

JD

Jerry,

That's good news.. Glad to hear it fixed you up. :)

I finished my rebuild of AOD#2 and installed it. Just need to finish installing the exhaust, etc. I plan to preload the TV cable a bit and then use my "notch-at-a-time" technique to tune it. :D

I also tried something that will probably be frowned on, but what the heck.. I drained the TC and then flushed it a few times using some good old unleaded gas. :eek: Followed up with a bit of degreaser and flushed it with the water hose. I inspected the residue came out and was satisfied that it was relatively clean. Then baked it for 30 minutes to dry it out and poured in a qt of mercron. I know it isn't hospital clean, but I'm satisified I got the bulk of the metal grit out and will let the filters catch the rest. I plan to install a line filter as well.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with AOD#1. :confused: It needs an output shaft and forward drum/turbine shaft to be rebuildable.

Back