95 SC Intercooler Part Numbers

The_Dead_Poet

Hey guys, i'm new to the the forum and so far its seems great! I'm not a supercoupe or cougar owner, but I do own a 1997 Ford Mustang with the 3.8L V6 ( see pics below ). I'm considering doing the m90 swap and if anyone happens to know the Ford part numbers for the the intercooler and associated parts from the 1995 Supercoupe, I would be most appreciative. Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

• EDU 226 website_images 022.jpg
    EDU 226 website_images 022.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
  • EDU 226 website_images 014.jpg
    EDU 226 website_images 014.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 44
  • EDU 226 website_images 018.jpg
    EDU 226 website_images 018.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Intercooler and tubes were the same for all 89 - 95 SC. Part numbers are irrelevant, they are no longer available new from Ford. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

You should be able to pick up a used IC and tubes on the buy/sell board for pretty cheap. You could also probably fab something up that will outperform the stock system. Search around on here and the tech board for ideas.

thanks for all of your help. the only reason i am interested in finding new parts is because my stang has a brand new motor in it. not really to keen on the idea of putting used parts on a new engine. i'll keep searching around, perhaps i'll find something.

You understand that you are going to have to swap the long block out for a SC long block if you want to do the blower swap, right?

I guess I'm not sure what the advantage of having brand new intercooler tubes and a brand new never used stock intercooler versus used parts is. If you really have your heart set on brand new never used parts you might be better off making a custom IC setup.

thanks for all of your help. the only reason i am interested in finding new parts is because my stang has a brand new motor in it. not really to keen on the idea of putting used parts on a new engine. i'll keep searching around, perhaps i'll find something.

There are no moving parts and absolutely no way to wearout the factory IC and tubes, except maybe debris hitting the face of the IC and damaging the tubes or damage to the mating surfaces of the tubes, but both of thos scenarios would be rather easy to detect.

I understand wanting new parts to go with the new engine, but in my opinion, this would be like insisting on new wheels everytime you had to buy new tires.

There are no moving parts and absolutely no way to wearout the factory IC and tubes, except maybe debris hitting the face of the IC and damaging the tubes or damage to the mating surfaces of the tubes, but both of thos scenarios would be rather easy to detect.

I understand wanting new parts to go with the new engine, but in my opinion, this would be like insisting on new wheels everytime you had to buy new tires.

that may be true, but i would rather prefer putting new parts on the stang. it's just a personal preference i have.

that may be true, but i would rather prefer putting new parts on the stang. it's just a personal preference i have.

Did they replace the the intake and all of the accesories when they put in your new motor? :confused:
You more then likely have the same old parts when they did your motor swap. This project might be too extreme for you, if you think the way you are thinking. And if its the stock mustang engine you have in there, with the blower you will probably crack the crank or bend a rod. The SC engine is a much stronger engine then normally aspirated 3.8L.

Did they replace the the intake and all of the accesories when they put in your new motor? :confused:
You more then likely have the same old parts when they did your motor swap. This project might be too extreme for you, if you think the way you are thinking. And if its the stock mustang engine you have in there, with the blower you will probably crack the crank or bend a rod. The SC engine is a much stronger engine then normally aspirated 3.8L.

The engine was replaced with a new long block assembly. from my understanding of what a long block is, the intake and other accessories are the same as the old motor.

This is not a project that i am undertaking lightly, I still have a LOT more to learn about the differences between the mustang 3.8L and the SC. I found a list of parts needed for the swap on www.v6power.net and am in the process of going through it. This list was made by a member who performed the swap on his Mustang. Since most if not all of the members on sccoa own or have owned a SC, I thought that this would be the best place to learn more information about the SC engine. If you don't mind and have the time, could you explain the major differences in the SC 3.8L and the Mustang 3.8L? I have read that the SC heads are stronger and that the SC crank is forged, but that is all so far. Any information that could be provided is most appreciated.

The block is stronger too. The guy at the shop didnt beleve me on that till he set my bare SC block beside a bare mustang block. Sc block has more meat on the lower end. I have seen the list you speak of and if you get all that stuff you are good to go. You can do all of that with you orginal motor...IF...you keep the STOCK supercharger pulley. However if you think that you MAY want to crank up the boost (and you will) then it would be wise to just use an entire SC motor. But hey dont listen to me. I am the guy who ran 21PSI of boost on a 2.3L non turbo mustang for 3 years. Every one said it would explode or melt a piston. Nope, though I did blow out 3 headgaskets:rolleyes: Remember the 2.3 block and crank were strong enough that it didn't need a special version to hold the boost. The 3.8 is not thus they made the SC version.

Last edited:
There are a good number of differences. The coolant passages are different, and I believe the pistons and rods are beefier in SC's, but I'm not totally sure. The biggest difference for you is that SC cranks are forged, and yours is not. Putting 11 or 12 pounds of boost into that motor is a ticking time bomb, which is bad for you as you seem to be awfully attached to it. You could do the swap, but you'd really be limiting yourself to what you could do in the future because you'd already be well past what the NA 3.8 is really capable of. There aren't many blower/intercooler parts available from Ford anymore, and even if they were, what they would cost you would be way more than what the car is even worth. Intercoolers are pretty much non-wear items, so don't worry about getting used ones if they are in good shape (they're cheap). 89-93 blowers are pretty cheap, 94-95's a little more expensive. You can't overdrive either of them though because you'd most likely break something, so it doesn't matter what you get in that department. Nobody mentioned this yet, but because of the differences in coolant passages in your motor and the extra stress you'll be putting on it, I'd imagine your car will be even more prone to head gasket failure than an SC would. I could be wrong though. Basically, you could get the parts to do the swap (used), but I really don't see the point in doing it to an NA motor. You wouldn't be able to safely get anymore power out of it afterward, and even with stock SC parts you'd already be putting down more power than what that motor was built for. It's just not that strong. Plan on it blowing up if this is what you want to do, especially if you drive it hard or try to up the performance.

Back