Cranks Over But Won't Start. Please Help!!!!

Mattlock

ok i had this problem before & i ended up replacing the cranks sensor. Ran not very good......turns out i had a head gasket slowly going......got it back together and now just cranks over with no spark. i have replace the crank sensor and the cam sensor (the shift light went out when i replace crank sensor) but still no fire, just cranks and cranks. i have lots of fuel pressure. and all the wiring connections are good. the only codes that come up are; 21(coolant temp out of range) & 35(EGR valve pressure transducer\position voltage out of range(hi)) any ideas?????? i dont think the codes would stop it from running??????
any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks in advance
Matt
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would double check the cam position sensor alignment.

Also, a problem with the engine coolant temperature sensor could possibly cause it not to start. You may want to make sure it's plugged in securely, or the sensor itself is bad, maybe replace it.

double checked the ground strap....it is hooked up. will try and swap coolant sensor, pluged in fine......seems weird that it would work before and not now? How do i check the cam sensor allignment & why would it change if i did not pull it? i did swap it with a known good one(unbolted old one and installed new)
again thanks for all your help MUCH APPRECIATED!
MATT:confused: :)

Last edited:
double checked the ground strap....it is hooked up. will try and swap coolant sensor, pluged in fine......seems weird that it would work before and not now? How do i check the cam sensor allignment & why would it change if i did not pull it? i did swap it with a known good one(unbolted old one and installed new)
again thanks for all your help MUCH APPRECIATED!
MATT:confused: :)

Are you certain there is no spark or is that an assumption? I only ask to eliminate other possible problems, and it is relevant that this is a no spark issue preventing start up, and not a fuel, compression or timing problem. The ECT would not cause it to have no spark at all. Also, while the ECT could cause starting problems, it would at least be sputtering, even if it was having problems firing right up and idleing. If there is actually no spark at all, that narrows things down considerably. Forget sensors. The problem with either the module, the coil pack, the ECU, plug wires, or wiring and relays. Please confirm if you have hook-up a plug to one o the ignition wires and confirmed that there is no spark, and we can go from there.

Last edited:
When you had it all apart, did you have to remove the timing cover for any reason? If so, that could take the cam sensor out of alignment. If you need to, here's a thread on aligning it: Cam sensor alignment thread

Also, if it's throwing a code regarding the coolant temp sensor, it does seem like a "smoking gun" :cool:

Back