Motor Install problem

bowez

All is going ok until I bolt the tranny and motor together once every thing is tight I will not turn over; I pull them back apart some and will turn (with T/C mated to the flexplate/flywheel).

Originally thought T/c bolt binding on the spacer plate shield but add shims and it still wont turn.

Tranny was rebuilt in Aug. and have a new T/C and have tried with both flexplates/flywheels.

Is there a specific hole the T/c studs go through, ie where the drain plug goes in relation to the plate, or am I missing something else?

That would be my first guess too. The converter has to go in three steps while it's being rotated.

cheers
Ed N.

Judging by one of your previous posts I am going to assume you bought a new crankshaft. If you bought a crankshaft that originally came from a 5-speed car, you have a pilot bearing in the end of it that you will have to remove.

chris

Last edited:
Using crank that came with engine (kept old one too).

So to make sure the TC is on fully, remove it and while turning (CC or CW?) push it on listen for clicks/pops?

turn CW it should click then slide in farther. keep doing this till it is seated, look at how far the flexplate is from the mounting flange on the block, thats how far your TC needs to go in to the trans. Did you add a quart of fluid to the TC before installing if not do it now.

Pulled TC agian and center shaft coming out of tranny and resetted several time I now believe/hope its all the way.

As far as fluid only fluid lost was that in the cooler lines and what came out when pulled dipstick tube. Pulled and reseated the TC without spill anything.

Back