EEC Electrical issues.. Need help and advise..

jamesgangel

Just got a 92 motor in my 90 sc, changed over all wiring so it matched the stock eec wiring. Now I have a check engine light, my eec self test connector doesnt work, I have to manually ground the test pin to test. I get egr\\ect\air temp sensor HIGH codes, and IAC not functioning correctly code. and it will start but like choke on startup then idle up to 2500, then slowly to 1000, and after running it a while it sometimes will not start back up at all.. Also the Fan is ALWAYS ON..Any ideas SC gods.. I just spent a week replacing this motor now this.. Im thinking short for the HIGH values, but Im not sure, bad EEC? Bad ground?

Any info would be appreciated,

James...

Last edited:
Just got a 92 motor in my 90 sc, changed over all wiring so it matched the stock eec wiring. Now I have a check engine light, my eec self test connector doesnt work, I have to manually ground the test pin to test. I get egr\\ect\air temp sensor HIGH codes, and IAC not functioning correctly code. and it will start but like choke on startup then idle up to 2500, then slowly to 1000, and after running it a while it sometimes will not start back up at all.. Also the Fan is ALWAYS ON..Any ideas SC gods.. I just spent a week replacing this motor now this.. Im thinking short for the HIGH values, but Im not sure, bad EEC? Bad ground?

Any info would be appreciated,

James...

Could very well be a bad ground BUT you should have used the wiring harness from the '90 not the '92. I am not sure what if any wiring is different in the engine harness but that could be causing your problems, it is always better to use the wiring for that specific year and just change out the engine itself.

You might want to pull your EEC back off and see if you smashed any of the pins when you installed it on the wiring harness.

- Dan

Eec...

I did indeed use the factory 90 wiring, thats what i meant by changing it over, sorry for the confusion, cause the 92 engine wiring harness is different than the 90s, so it does have the correct wiring, but I am gonna pull the eec off, and check the pins, any more advise would be appreciated.. thanks,

James..

More information

I'm going to speculate you have a number of pins that need to be reassigned. If I understand correctly, you have a 90 body, EEC and wiring harness and you just put a 92 motor in the car, correct?

I'm trying to figure out what would be different if the harness and PCM are the same year. Everything under the hood/on the engine should be connected to where it goes, i.e. even if the TPS in a 92 uses a different pin at the PCM, there is only 1 TPS connector under the hood and on the engine.

Years ago I changed to a 93 computer in my 89 and had to reassign about a dozen pins to make it work.

If you can give me more information, I will dig out my pinout data and try to offer more help.

Back