New engine, new technology????(pics)

neverfastenough

New long block arrived today and I was looking and it came with these plastic type "thingys" around the push rods. I posted pics of the new and old to compare, anyone know whats going on here and if this is just some new and improved thing I should leave alone. Ignore the socks.

engine017.jpg

engine011.jpg

Any Ideas.

I hadn't seen that until you sent me the pics, but I believe it's just a newer revised lifter retianer bracket. You are probably fine to use it as long as it doesn't melt from heat.

New long block arrived today and I was looking and it came with these plastic type "thingys" around the push rods. I posted pics of the new and old to compare, anyone know whats going on here and if this is just some new and improved thing I should leave alone. Ignore the socks.

engine017.jpg

engine011.jpg

Any Ideas.
also looks to me could be something that helps them get the push rod in right the first time when putting the motor 2gether

if your really worried about it call the place you got the motor from and ask them what those are for...

I got the motor from SCP who gets them from texas I believe, so Ill need to find their number, I'll try calling bill monday I dont plan on putting the intake on for a while anyway.

If your worried you can always swap over to the original style..Ive never sene that before honestly..Think I;d perfer the old metal type..

Does the block and heads have SC stamped on them?

thingies...

Those are to keep the lifters from chewing at the stitches. You can remove them when the stitches come out!

SORRY!! I couldn't resist as that was the first thing I thought of when I saw them. Actually they look like some sort of new design to ensure return oil gets concentrated on the lifter/push rod area. Does anyone know if there were any goofy pattern wear or failures in this area? Excessive lifter bleed down after shut off?

I have seen them in NA engines. I just rebuilt my 96 3.8 and they had those plastic retainers. As long as you have the forged internals and it is indeed a SC block I would not worry. I just find it strange they used these over the metal ones. Check out the retainers on the bolts that hold them on. Weird

Oviously this part was changed because it was cheaper, but I thought less friction sounded cooler.

Last edited:
as long as its channeling oil to the right place I dont mind lol, any thoughts on the cam not being covered, I dont really think it matters.

All the newer 3.8l and 4.2l engines run the plastic lifter retainers. Were updated around 96 I think.
________
SUPERCLIT

Last edited:
Back