How Many Of You....

Supercoupe218

How many of you have thought you got a good deal and find out you got even a better deal?..here i was buying a 91 SC not knowing to much about the car....and i thought i was getting a car that i was going to really have to baby after hearing all of the head gaskets problems these cars have :rolleyes: anyway...

today i did some digging on my supercoupes history and got ahold of the original owners phone number. I figured it was a long shot but called the number and to my surprise a older gentleman answered. I asked if he used to own a 1991 Thunder bird Super Coupe...and to my surprise he said yes :D i gave him the vin and he checked it against his record and said yes that's it and asked how the car was doing. I asked him a couple of question about the car and found out some good news..well to me anyways... In 2001 the head gaskets were replaced due to blowing them...but he just didn't replace the head gaskets..the whole motor came out and was completely rebuilt with ..bearings, rings, ARP studs...and then the best part....the heads were resurfaced and the ports were cleaned up and gasket matched...supercharger was untouched along with the intake, TB ect and bolted back together.....after a little bit of driving the car was dynoed......

209RWHP and 296RWTQ was what i put down...right now im pretty stocked as i got a starting point as to what i have.. he said he will make copies of all the files he has and send them to me :D

Thanks for listening...id like to hear your stories of things like this or great deals you have got in the past. :)

for the $1,000 i paid for this i thing i got a pretty good deal :)

SCnewradio-6.jpg

SCnewradio-7.jpg

SCnewradio-8.jpg

Last edited:
you got a good deal my friend, looks nice. i bought a '94 sc auto that needed a transmission for $800 and after having my buddy rebuild the trans. and installing it i now have $1800 in it and it's pretty damn clean inside and out,new motor was installed at 70,000 miles, nice stereo. it's now my daily driver and i can really play around with my other 2 sc's now!

Very interesting story

I bought my 89 in 2005. After buying the car and going through everything inside the car, I found the original bill of sale on the thing. I know three of the owners of the car before me.

I have the name of the original female owner of the car, did a little searching but she doesn't live in the same house that she did, if I remember right her house address is no longer a valid address. As far as I know my car has always been Ohio owned until me. Maybe I'll try a little harder, kinda a long shot though.

I always thought it would be really cool to show the original owner her old car after I get it back to its prime shape again and let her take it for a spin.

Last edited:
I bought my white 89 5-speed almost exactly two years ago from the original-lady-owner in N. Michigan. I had the word out that I was looking for a low-mileage original car, and she called me. Hers was a 40K mile, untouched original.

After talking back and forth for about 6 weeks, we finally settled on a price, and I flew to Detroit. She picked me up at the airport, and we drove another 2 hours to the town where the car was. After talking for 6 weeks, and receiving numerous photos, I was pretty sure the car was as-advertised. But as we arrived at her house, it was obvious that wasn't the case; it was BETTER than she described. Other than 5-years worth of storage dirt (which I had asked her to leave alone), the car was pristine.

And she had E-V-E-R-Y piece of paperwork from the car's history. Even the shipping bill of lading from the Loraine, OH assembly plant to the Wixom, MI distribution point. And, from there to the dealership, and every receipt for everything that had been done to the car, including every oil change. I have the window sticker, but also the warning "hang tags" that were attached to the headlight knob, and tilt wheel lever when the car was delivered. I have the Ford audio demonstration cassette. I have the glossy cardboard sleeve that the owner's manual came in. I have the child seat adapter buckle for the RH front seat, still in the wrapper. I have the 1989 Motor Trend Car of the Year static window cling that the dealer installed. It's insane.

Needless to say, I was thrilled. I drove it home, and it was the best 1,750 mile drive of my life; like being back in 1989 again. After a thorough detailing when got it back to sunny S. Texas, it was absolutely stunning. It sits under a cover in my shop.

But, I paid a LOT more than $1,000 for it...

JD

Last edited:
S. C.

I found a great deal on my 92' and it was no more than 20 miles from home.

The color inside and outside, options, trans, etc. I wanted.

I plan to keep it and pass it on to a Grandchild who is into cars........when ever we have Grandchildren.

Back