Need some battery help....(Long story)

Deep6

OK Here is the story.

I have not one but two discharged Hawker Odyessy PC925 batteries in my basement not doing anything.

Battery #1 was installed in my bird and worked well until it became loose and banged around. The bolt head punched a hole in the bottom of case and the battery seemed to loose a cell. It was putting out about 10volts and nothing more. I tried to return the battery and hide the damage by using a peice of Dyna mat applied with a Heat gun to cover the entire bottom of the battery. When the seller got it back , the battery "all of a sudden" was able to hold a charge to 12.4volts. It was promptly sent back to me and indeed had a charge of 12.4volts. No refund. :eek:

Battery #2 was installed while battery #1 was returned to the seller. Battery #2 worked great for about 6 months until I took my Tbird off the road. In which it slowly became discharged and required a jump to start the bird. I left it hooked up and it continued to discharge until it was down to 3.1volts. I took it out and tried to recharge it with jumper cables and my beater saturn. I left it running for 1/2 hour and the battery woudn't go higher than 6.86volts. After removing the jumper cables and checking with a VM meter, you could see that the voltage would slowly seep back down to 3.1volts over a few days. :confused:

Scratching my head and knowing that the warranty was up for both batteries I left them in my basement for about a year.

Battery #1 had about 11.1 volts and Battery #2 had 3.1volts. I bought a
7amp battery charger capable of recharging deeply discharged batteries (it reportedly can recharge a battery from as little as 0.5 volts and de-sulphite the batteries too).

OK I hook the batteries up (In tandem I might add as this charger is capable of recharging more than one battery at a time too) and let them recharge for 2 days.

I come downstairs today I notice they are still charging (the indicator LED on the charger was still orange and not green). So I get curious and I disconnect the charger and test the batteries.

Battery #1 is 13.0volts and is seemingly holding the charge, I left the VM meter hooked up for about 3 minutes and the voltage didn't drop. Battery #1 is cool as a cucumber. Remember this is the battery that sustained physical damage to the case and was covered up with dyna mat on the bottom. :rolleyes:

Battery #2 is up to 12.7volts and is boiling hot to the touch. I mean it was so hot that if I tried to pick it up my hands would heat up in about 5 seconds and I would have to put it back down. I had to pick it up with gloves. :eek:

I disconnected the charger and reconnected it to only battery #1. The LED was green. Then I reconnectd the charger to only battery #2 and the LED was orange indicating that it still needed to do more charging.

I picked up battery #2 (with the gloves) and when I turned it to it's side, a bunch of water came spilling out. Remind you, there is no physical damage to Battery #2 as I had it properly mounted in my T-bird. The only "abuse" that it faced was deep discharge (still not sure why but that is another topic).

To help everyone understand these batteries better, they are considered Military grade Dry-Cell batteries. I can't remember if they are Gel-Cell or AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) style batteries. But they say "Dry-Cell" on the side. I belive the claim since when I ruptured the case of Battery #1, there was NO LEAKAGE. Yet, Battery #2 had water spilling out of the top of it. Now I thought these batteries were sealed maintenece free.

Well, I got curious again and I noticed that the top label was covering a access panel. I popped it off easily revealing 6 little gray caps. I can see that water/fluid is bubbling/boiling off of one of the caps. They are these little caps that cover these little tubes that are about 1/4" in diameter. I didn't want to take the cap off for fear that boiling hot acid would squirt into
my eyes. :eek:

I let battery #2 cool down after an hour and I checked the voltage again. It dropped from 12.7 to 12.5volts. So I am concernd that it is not holding the charge and will drop on down to 3.1volts given a few days or weeks.

I know it is normal for a battery to get warm during a recharging cycle, but boiling hot?
Is there something that I am missing here?
Should I add water back to Battery #2 ?
What if anything can be done?
Is battery #1 salvageable? :confused:

Each battery cost me something like $120 plus shipping and the charger was like $75.00.

If anyone is familiar with the "Dyna Batt" line of batteries, these are made by the same parent company but are bigger. I originally had a 15lb PC680 (Dyna-Batt) but it didn't have the CCA's to crank the motor over in -15ºF weater. The PC925 has 390CCA and is definatly up to the task in this climate and they weigh 25lbs. The stock battery weighs 35lbs. Yeah yeah, I know seems like alot of headache and cost for a measly 10lbs savings......tell me about it.

So can anyone suggest anything?????

Thanks all. I was hoping to start the bird up and let it run this weekend.

Too tough to figure out ?

OK I left Battery #2 disconnected from the Charger overnight. It cooled down and I checked it's voltage with a VM meter. It's now down to 11.74volts. So it doesn't seem to be holding the full charge.

Can anyone tell me what this strange behavior is?

Battery #2 is done... finito! The top assembly on those batteries is the "recombinant" chamber, hence the term "maintenance free". If you have fluids escaping, one or more cells are permanently damaged and cannot be recovered.

Battery #1 is more interesting. From what I can see you never drained it below 10.5V so there is a good chance it didn't suffer irreparable damage from excessive discharge. A hole in the case by itself is not a death sentence for an AGM or Gel type. I've seen large holes and cracks permanently repaired with silicone sealant (I'll assume here the bolt that punctured the case didn't penetrate far enough to damage the plates in the cell). Scrape the stuff off the bottom and seal up the fracture (you really have to clean the surface well for silicone to stick though).

I'm surprised you're using a deep-cycle type battery in a car: They don't like the constant high charging voltages and this shortens their life considerably. They prefer a constant float charge voltage ~13.6V. Some types (made primarily for back-up powering) don't like being constantly jostled around either... the plate connectors inside eventually fatigue and break.

One thing you can do is get a small solar panel (~ 1 sq ft) and connect it to the battery... this will keep it "topped up" while it's in storage.

Then....

Can you tell me why the Hell Battery #2 failed? It was secured properly (unlike battery #1) and worked fine in my car for 6 months as a daily driver. But come time that I took it off the road, Bam, within 1-2 months of parasitic draw and it killed the battery. I jumped it up a couple of times but it wouldn't hold the charge.

Why was Battery #2 boiling hot when it was recharging?

The "Fix" for Battery #1 was a peice of heavy duty "Dyna-Mat" on the bottom of the battery. The bolt head that punched a hole in the case penetrated about 1/8-1/4" tops. It looks like a little crecent on the bottom of the battery case. I could probably rip off the Dyna-Mat and put some "JB Weld" in there, would that work?

If you want to learn more about these batteries go here:http://www.odysseyfactory.com

Think I could....

I used Battery #1 to run my T-bird yesterday. After sitting for 6months, it started right up. I let it run for like 30minutes and then I drove it back and forth in my driveway to get some of the rust off of the brake rotors and lubricate the Diff and Trans.

After taking Battery #1 out of the T-bird, it has been holding steady at 12.7volts. That should be allright, correct?

Battery #2 continues to discharge. It's now down to 10.8volts.

Can anyone tell me why the Battery was boiling hot while recharging? Is it due to a short circuit?

Could I add clean water or another battery compound to it like a regular wet cell?

:confused:
If you checked out the website, you'd see that the batteries are supposed to be very rugged and built to withstand tough conditions, such as vibrations, heat/cold, extreme discharge and recovery. That's why I bought this kind of battery. :mad:

On a side note, I bought a $29.99 AutoZone POS battery for my Saturn almost 4 years ago. I more or less neglect that battery and it's still working....

Ohhh Ugh, Maybe I can find the receipt and try and return it but I think it's been over 2 years...

Back