wow i think i got a rod knock.....**VIDEO ADDED**

92sclikenew

Ok it started out as a dead battery got it charged and started it, the car (inside) filled with blue smoke.... looked like burning oil smoke. and the exhaust was doing the same also,blue smoke..:eek: :confused: and between 2-3000 rpm's it sound like it could have a rod knock. oil pressure is great on the M of norm. then twotonethunder came over and the battery was dead again after 10 hours.... so it was charged and then we started it up ran nice and fine... no smoke no nothing but a good running car..... about 2 hours later i ran to get some food about 30 min ride. came back and it the rattle/rod knocking sound came back.. but no blue smoke ...

now my ? is what else could rattle like a rod knock sound but then at the same time just sound like a rattle i can get a video of it if it will do it again but it prob wont be till later 2night for that.. to me if its not a rod knock it sounds like it could be the cats rattling

also this is a 92 sc about 110,000 miles anything else just ask..... im just hoping its not a rod knock.

thanks thats what im hoping..... do you really think so...

and the reason why i think it was a cat also is because a rod knock would go faster with the rev and get louder... and i would think oil pressure wouldn't be the best....

anyone else got anything thing to add feel free.

Last edited:
Your in luck

Not a rod knock. Check your heatshields and like the other guy said, your cat. But dosent sound like a rod to me.

I agree with Dave, if it was a rod knock it would have a more solid thumping noise, not a rattling noise. It would also get faster and slower with engine RPM.

yea thanks guys im hoping its just a cat or something like a heat shield....
i don't got the money right now to put a motor in this car even tho i can do it all my self but still..... thats not the point lol

and i already got to put a motor in my other car so i hope this can atless make it till them

also forgot to say it only comes once the car warms up.... witch is when parts expand and could become lose

That oil pressure on M doesn't mean jack schitt. The gauge is an on/off guage. If there is at least minimum pressure it will read somewhere in the normal range. If it's too low it goes red and you get a check gauge light.

That oil pressure on M doesn't mean jack schitt. The gauge is an on/off guage. If there is at least minimum pressure it will read somewhere in the normal range. If it's too low it goes red and you get a check gauge light.

yea the only thing is you guys think its an on off switch ok then... i don't and i be leave its right.. because i had plenty of people tell me thats its not 100% right but its very close if it was an on/off switch it would be a light not a gauge.. right...

im not tryin to make a fight but this is what i have always been told...

It might as well be a light.

When the car is cold the oil pressure would read higher. Then when it warms up the pressure would read lower. At idle when you accelerate the pressure should increase.

I don't know about you, but in my 3 SC's the guage just stays near the middle the whole time the car is running.

Its a switch

Look at where it hooks up on the engine. To be a true guage, you wold need a line going to the dash or a true sending unit. The oil pressure guage is just a switch. I worked at dealers and went to Ford ASSET tec training school, so i do have some creditability.

It might as well be a light.

When the car is cold the oil pressure would read higher. Then when it warms up the pressure would read lower. At idle when you accelerate the pressure should increase.

I don't know about you, but in my 3 SC's the guage just stays near the middle the whole time the car is running.

no mine dont stay in the same it moves and s*** just like a real gauge could
and when my car is cold the gauge reads higher on the m of norm and when hot it reads about the o and at idle it will move between o and r of norm.. witch to me seems like a real gauge idk im not no expert with these cars i just know how to fix it, not all the tech s***...

By Mike Maroschak

The stock oil pressure gauge in any SuperCoupe is not a gauge at all really. It is just controlled by a pressure switch. It is either ON or OFF. Any fluctuations can only be caused in system voltage (i.e..fluctuations around 12V).

Here's how to make it move like a real guage.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/oilgauge.php

you still have no idea on pressure though since there's no numbers.

Knock

Hopefully your headache is nothing more than the convertor sheild.

There is little so sad as the sinking feeling when you know you just a spun bearing and the sound you hear is a rod knock.

ok off the oil gauge what else does anybody think could be rattling i got the cats,the heat shield for them, what else is able to come lose and rattle like this..

Back