Wheel hop.

1vikfan

Any body got any ideas on how to help with wheel hop? Its a stock 89. I did replace the tires with 255/55 16 and was told to run 40 psi in them> i think this is to high, but was told they wear to quick if i dont. Any help out there??? Dont want to destroy car, but i cant even get on it a little!

Polyurethane or aluminum rear diff mount bushings. You can also box in the rear upper control arms and that will help a ton. An inflatable air bag in the rear springs might help, I think you inflate the passenger side more than the driver.

I'd run 35 psi in the tires. What brand are they? 255/55 is a truck tire.

Tires.

What truck has a side wall off 55? Maybe 75. HA HAHA. Thanks for the info. They are Fuzion tires by the way. 255/55/16. wide and low.

I searched tirerack.com and put in that size and it only came back with a couple of tires for 2wd trucks.

That would probably be closer to stock height than 255/50 which is what most people run.

pressure

regarding tire inflation 40 psi is way high. youll wind up with the center wearing out before the sides. i have 245/50/16 kumho's and run them at 27.5 and they wear flat as a straight edge. using 255's i would say around 25 for even wear or maybe less.

Poly rear nuckle bushing,airbags (already mentioned) and a bigger rear swaybar are all things that will help with wheel hop.

Jay

After installing H&R lowering springs and an Addco 1 1/4" sway bar on my 95 SC wheel hop was pretty much eliminated. I don't know if it was one or the other or both working together that did the trick because they were installed at the same time but wheel hop is no longer an issue with this car. Before these two mods I had wheel hop issues to the max.:D

Last edited:
Back