Autometer temp gauge reading when cold

Jeremy_K

I just installed my autometer electric short sweep water temp gauge yesterday. My car has sat in the cold garage since yesterday morning (almost 24 hours). This morning I fired it up and the temp gauge went right to 150-160 immediately:confused: . I installed the gauge exactly per the directions. I also attached my factory sending unit wire to the new sending unit so it has 2 wires coming off it. Now the factory gauge doesn't even read at all:confused: Driving around in cool weather i haven't seen the new gauge get past 180 yet. Is this normal?

I just installed my autometer electric short sweep water temp gauge yesterday. My car has sat in the cold garage since yesterday morning (almost 24 hours). This morning I fired it up and the temp gauge went right to 150-160 immediately:confused: . I installed the gauge exactly per the directions. I also attached my factory sending unit wire to the new sending unit so it has 2 wires coming off it. Now the factory gauge doesn't even read at all:confused: Driving around in cool weather i haven't seen the new gauge get past 180 yet. Is this normal?

That doesn't work and your readings are false. You can't connect the two gauges to the same sender.

That doesn't work and your readings are false. You can't connect the two gauges to the same sender.

This is true what he should do is use a Tee type fitting so he could retain the stock gauge while adding the autometer sender.

I would just use one sender and then can't you ground the stock guages wire to make it read normal all the time?

I unhooked the stock sender wire and the gauge reads correct now. For some odd reason I'd like to have the stock gauge working so I'll need to hook up a T fitting. It doesn't read at all if you ground it out. I used that trick for the stock oil psi wire though.

Back