factory gauge's

92sclikenew

ok so im sure most of you guys seen my thread about the knocking noise.....

anyways there was an argument about the factory gauge's not being true gauges

ok so that being send is the coolent temp sensor the same kind of setup because if it is then how could the oil pressure be any diff because yea i understand ther not prefect right but they are close... and if they were the same kind then how could the oil pressure be the on/off deal and the temp not....:eek:

Last edited:
ok so im sure most of you guys seen my thread about the knocking noise.....

anyways there was an argument about the factory gauge's not being true gauges

ok so that being send is the coolent temp sensor the same kind of setup because if it is then how could the oil pressure be any diff because yea i understand ther not prefect right but they are close... and if they were the same kind then how could the oil pressure be the on/off deal and the temp not....:eek:

wow no one has anything to put in on this.......

coolant temp works the hotter the coolant the higher the gauge reads. Good luck telling the temp by the position of the gauge. No numbers = worthless gauge.

It's very simple. The temperature gauge uses a variable resistor that changes values by temperature thus moving the gauge up an down and truly indicating varying temperatures. You just don't know exactly what temperatures without the numbers. You can tell that the needle near the P is about 220 degrees F because that is when the low speed fan comes on. The oil gauge on the other hand does NOT use a variable resistor to indicate varying pressures. It is only a switch that closes when the oil pressure exceeds about 7 to 10 pounds and then provides a constant reading to the dash gauge. So the oil gauge is either at the bottom or in the middle and nowhere else. Far more useless than a temperature gauge without numbers.

temp gauge

well from looking at the temp sending unit its a thermocouple producing voltage to move the gauge. so the more voltage it makes the higher the temp, a propane hot water heater has the same thing to open a shut off valve to prevent propane from leaking if the pilot goes out:rolleyes:

the oil pressure gauge is the only gauge that is actually an on off switch. Temp gauge works and goes up when it gets hotter. As does the tach, speedo, battery, boost, etc. With that said most people agree that all stock gauges should be used with a grain of salt since most of the time they are not spot on
Dan

I'm no expert - but I'm guessing if they did that for each and every car, there would be an increase in the price for the car. But to keep producution up on the cars, they are setup that way. Most people never know the difference anyway. And owners like us - most of us have learned the gauges are junk and add our own so we really know what's going on.

-Melon

lol thanks guys i just don't see why ford was so dumb
and don't use real style gauge's
Because most people don't know what a good or bad reading is anyway. Thus the "NORM" gages that we have. Also, I'm guessing some people would freak out if they saw the oil pressure gage fluctuating all over the place all the time leading to a lot of people bringing their car back to the dealer to fix the "problem". Much easier for someone to see that their engine is running in the "NORM" and everything is good under the hood so they can get back to their cell phone conversation.

Back