car stereo in trunk.....

Scott-Atah

drivingg home from the grocery store (40 burgers 4.oz ea....11 bucks, 4 pizza's 12 bucks) and i got the country pumping good bass brooks n dunn - my maria...get home pop the trunk (siingle 12" sub in there) and the bass gets way louder...doors closed windows up.....so i get out...shut the trunk....rewind the song, pump it....hit the trunk release and bass gets way louder (sounding cool heh)

whats the deal? is there not enough air getting to my sub or something? it's in a prefabricated store bought box from good friends in vernon bc know em personally etc....sealed box...yada yada.anything i can do about this or am i imaging this? or is this normal? Cause it was like a noticable difference....my skin started shakin and stuff with the bass etc...i like ih....i like ih aloh.

btw single rockford 12" he sub...powered by 250w rms concept amp.

A little lesson on why it does this........(this is also why you must keep your doors, windows, and trunk closed during a stereo competion)

You have your subwoofer box, whether it be sealed, ported or bandpass, enclosing your speaker. Your bass hits and it sounds the way it should sound because the box is designed that way. As soon as you add an extra opening, ie. the trunk being open, the trunk is now acting as your speaker box, and the opening is now the port of the box, thus creating deeper, louder bass. You should also notice a significant difference when you open your windows all the way. When doing that, the inside of your car is now acting as the speaker box and your windows are acting as the ports.

Hopefully that explained it because I'm too tired to get into more detail.

heh yeah that helps out a bit...windows down doesn't make a diff cause i swear the trunk is almost airtight...or just my stereo isn't htat big to matter heh...but yeah...that seems to make some sense...thanks brohta!

I'm guessing that you have your subwoofer box towards the front of the trunk close to the seat, and probably facing towards the front of the car. On our body style and on others with similar geometry, the bass will bounce back and forth between the windshield and the back of the trunk. It will eventually cancel out like waves in a pond. Try moving your enclosure closer to the back tailights and turning it around to face the back of the trunk. You should notice a big difference. I know it's not very convenient there, but you cant fight physics.

it sits right near the back seat (save a bit of trunk space...sub on one side...amp on the other side) and the sub faces the other side of the trunk (from passenger to driver)

i think the man about 2 posts up explained it well...the bass did seem to get deeper and louder when i opened the trunk (i tried it again it was pretty cool)

and i think you were kinda right about the windows...it didn't seem as loud with the windows up...but i don't go with them up much...so i'm not sure hehe

Back