key switch help

wildchild048

the ignition cylinder on my 90 auto wont go to the off position and i cant get the key out.is there an adjustment for this?

well iim not sure about an auto but i know on my 90 5 speed there is a botton at the bottom side of the colom

Two possibilities

Possibly a lock cylinder problem, but more likely the plastic ignition switch actuator rod is broken. Turn to the run position and push the pin in on the bottom of the lock cylinder to remove the cylinder. With the cylinder removed use a larger flat head screw driver to check the steering column operation. Try to start the car and shut it off with the screw driver. If it starts and shuts off normally, you need a lock cylinder. If not, and it still wont turn to the off position, then the previously mention plastic ignition switch actuator is broken and the steering column will need to be overhauled to fix. If this is the case you can temporarily drop the ignition switch down off the column (two t-27 screws) and manually overide the steering column till you get it fixed properly...Dave

its not the lock cylinder,the car does turn off just cant get the lock cylinder to go to the lock position to get the key out.

I just had a similar problem on my 92. I was able to turn the car off, but when I went to restart it, it just kinda went loose. I knew right away that the ignition switch went out. At this point I also could not turn the key all the way back to take the key out. As soon as I popped off the switch, I was able to turn it and get the key out. Not hard to do, and worth a look.

On mine the black plastic that raps the key has two fins that line up with key.

I can turn the black fins, but NOT the Key, to start/run car.
I can turn the key, but the black fins will NOT be sync with the key.

To remove the key, I must sync the fins with the key.
What is the fix/secret trick here (to sync key with fins)?

Thank you in advance.

Your ignition switch is probably busted. You can see it if you take the bottom cowl piece off of the steering wheel. They are half plastic and half metal and they separate easily rendering the switch useless after a while.

just fixed it it was the shifter,there is a cable that goes from the shifter to the ignition and that cable was rusted fast,got new cable and every thing works now.

Back