PDA

View Full Version : 06 Impala SS vs. 06 Dodge Charger R/T

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Ok, it's finally almost time for me to get rid of my daily driver and get something new. These are the 2 cars I've been thinking about buying. I love the Impala, i think it looks really cool. I even went to the dealership to test drive one. When I was making a left hand turn I got on it a little bit and it felt like the front left tire flew off! Massive torque steer! Once you get it going it really takes off though. I like the interior and the ride. Overall, I'm leaning towards the Chevy.

I haven't test drove the Charger yet, but I was looking online and I REALLY didn't like the interior! the headrest looks like it's 10 feet tall, but it does have a HEMI. I'm going to take a trip to the dealer to take one for a spin. Anyone own one of these?

Btw.....I looked at the Ford Five Hundred, but it has no horsepower so me no wants.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some of your opinions about these 2 cars. Thanks!

ricardoa1
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
You will get sick of the FWD very quickly, and will go tru tires like crazy. But you live is chicago right. Lots of snow. Get an AWD R/T and you will be happy

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm serious when I said it felt like the front tire was going to fly off. I've had many FWD, but not one with that much horsepower. I know how they can go through tires. This winter was kinda bad too. More snow than we've had the past few year. I didn't even know they made an AWD Charger! Guess I will go check it out.

David Neibert
04-10-2007, 12:08 PM
We bought a 2006 Charger SRT8 back in June...looks great, drives great runs great, zero problems as far as maintience. Only issue is if you have to drive it in the snow...even with 240 lbs. of sand in the trunk and the traction control engauged it sucks. Not really liking the drive by wire torque managment system either (only allows 2/3 or 3/4 throttle in 1st gear).

The regular hemi may not be as bad in the snow, because of the smaller tire size and reduced power.

David

pablon2
04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Time to change your screen name. :D

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I Wanted a 1990 SC, but now I got one! ;) It's coming today so I'll have to post pics! Here are some new screen names

Bagged1990SC
Red1990SC

it's all I can think of for now! ;)

Ira R.
04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
We bought a 2006 Charger SRT8 back in June...looks great, drives great runs great, zero problems as far as maintience. Only issue is if you have to drive it in the snow...even with 240 lbs. of sand in the trunk and the traction control engauged it sucks. Not really liking the drive by wire torque managment system either (only allows 2/3 or 3/4 throttle in 1st gear).

The regular hemi may not be as bad in the snow, because of the smaller tire size and reduced power.

David
Daughter has the '07 Charger and loves it for all the same reasons. She has the smaller engine though, which may be why she doesn't have the problems in the snow. She also doesn't have the same complaint with the torque managment system. Says the car rides on rails regardless of the weather.

Ira

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
So am I the only one that likes the Impala SS? :eek:

pablon2
04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
So am I the only one that likes the Impala SS? :eek:

Probably b/c it is a Chebby. :p

David Neibert
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't think the new Impala SS is going to sell very well, because most people think that a performance sedan should be rear wheel drive.

David

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
So Ford fans tend to lean towards Dodge instead of Chevy??? or is it just cuz it's RWD? Maybe I'm a fool, but i can't afford an SRT8 and i think the R/T doesn't look as good as the impala.

Too bad there is no SVT Five Hundred. AWD, twin turbos..... :rolleyes:

Ira R.
04-10-2007, 04:09 PM
So Ford fans tend to lean towards Dodge instead of Chevy??? or is it just cuz it's RWD? Maybe I'm a fool, but i can't afford an SRT8 and i think the R/T doesn't look as good as the impala.

Having driven neither car, I can tell you I do like the way the Impala looks, but would probably not ever give it a second thought because, a. the Charger is also a great looking car and, b. the Impala is FWD.

Ira

ricardoa1
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM

I with me, its not about a brand. But, will you enjoy driving. HP and FWD are not fun after a while.
But if you have your heart set on the impala go for it.

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I think the SRT8 looks awesome, but I'm still a little uncertain about the R/T. From what i seen you can't really tell the difference between the R/T and the base V-6 SXT. I'll take a trip to the Dodge dealer to check them out.

My friend has an SRT8, but he keeps it in his garage and never really drives it much. He told me he'd let me drive it, but he works nights and I work a regular 9-5. I do admit, I drool over that car, but like I said, I can't afford it.

90coug
04-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Question is, why are you buying a car? As a daily driver right!? If thats the case then a FWD Chevy is a good choice, sure the Dodge is a bad ~~~ but thats why you bought the 1990 SC.

Oh and BTW, I might be the only Chevy fan on this board. I'd buy a Camaro over a Mustang any day, thats just me though.

Wanted1990SC
04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, this is just going to be my daily driver. The SC is just going to be a weekend car when the weather is nice. I do like the Ford Five Hundred, but even with the upgraded 3.5 L V-6, it's 0-60 times are identical as the 200 hp Duratech. Once again, Ford stepping up and giving the consumers what they want. I mean here are talking about Chevy and Dodge have 300+ horsepower V-8s. Anyways, I just like the way the Chevy looks over the Dodge. Unless it's the SRT8, but that's out of my price range.

Stew
04-11-2007, 12:25 AM
If I was looking at the FWD LS4s, I'd probably wait for the Buick Lacrosse Super 8. If you are looking for performance i'd check a Grand Prix GXP, better suspension and brakes than the Impala and more features (standard HUD, performance meter, avail navigation, etc). The interior isn't as nice, IMHO, but i'd bend for the extra perfrormance :). i'd go for the Charger though, believe me FWD gets old and my next car will DEFINATLY be RWD. Throw some snow tires on in the winter and go for it :) Friend has a 06 R/T and the ride, smoothness and handling absolutely impresses me in that car and the power ain't bad either :) You can get and R/T package (on the R/T) which includes SRT-8 style interior bits/seats and a freer flowing exhaust good for 10 more HP, and better performance tuned suspension. In the end, you have to choose what you want of course :)