installing Alpine radio

quicktsi

I have ordered an Alpine CDA-9857. I am getting mixed reviews when I search. What do I need to install it using the factory speakers, amps, and subwoofer? The parts listed below are what I have found.

http://www.scosche.com/scosche_caraudio.aspx?ItemID=SLC4&CategoryID=229
http://www.scosche.com/scosche_caraudio.aspx?ItemID=FDK4B&CategoryID=78

I think this is the same as above.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xpwdVhzHjk9/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=142C4FDK5

Do I need this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xpwdVhzHjk9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=112200&I=120305512

What do I need?

As far as I know, the only other thing you should need to purchase to make that Alpine work is the wiring harness that you can get at Wal-Mart, Crutchfield, Best Buy, or another similar store. Plus the "special tool" to remove the stock stereo from the dash, but you can make that from a coat hangar :D

From what I can see - I don't think you need what's in that 3rd link you posted. Hopefully someone with the JBL audio can chime in as well. I haven't replaced a stereo in a car with an upgraded OEM stereo.

-Melon

I installed an alpine in my car and swapped out the factory speakers... someone pulled the factory sub out of the car so i don't have it. bastages!

http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...&CategoryID=78

I think this is the same as above.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xpwdVhz...sp?I=142C4FDK5

either of these two should work. you shouldn't need the "in-dash" install kit. The bottom link i copied has some gain adjustments along with what appears to be an "in-line" hi/low signal adapter so you don't clip your amp. I would probably go with the second one if i had the factory amp(s) and sub.

Hey I just put a aftermarket radio in my 91 Tbird SC clone plus I work at a audio -visual install place and I used the same one from crutchfield it works very well if your using the factory amp I replaced all my speakers and use the foctory amp and it sounds good.Plus that one from crutchfield you can adjust your highs and lows so make sure you adjust it before you lock it in place.
Later have fun and enjoy
Greg:) :D

Yes teh alpine will plug right in with eth right adapter harnesses..I got mine at circuit city..Any radio shop or even crutchfeikd can hook you up..Plug an dplay man!

Ah - this question is right up my ally as I've done this on three SC's now.

You will need the Scosche harness that has the Ford adapters for the Power and Speakers at one end and loose wires at the other. They're marked for which is which. I made my own harness by combining the two. I think the Scosche kit cost me around $10.

Look at the SCCoA home page for the link to the 35th Anniversary Tbird site. On it you'll find a section regarding the factory radio wiring colors and connections.

After awhile, you'll want to upgrade further and get better speakers and amps. I rewired my system completely when I installed Alpine amps and bolted them upside down to the bottom of the package tray in the trunk.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck,
Mark

I tried the 35th link but it appears to be a dead link. If somebody has it saved I would like it. I do plan to replace speakers, amps and subs down the road. I am going to try the PAC piece this weekend.

I didnt have to cut anything..Mine all plugged right in..You need an adapter for alpine radios in fords...Then another adapter fpr teh amp system...They make them..No need to cut or jump and solder anything

i'd say with 89-93 you will need the spacer to give you a little more room for the wiring. but that would be all. I prefer not having the receiver sit so far out from the dash as some of these kits make them.

For the wiring harness I allways use Metra!
Metra 70-5510 1986-2000 amplifier integration harness
problem with this one is you need a receiver with front & rear RCA outputs. its the High/Low impedance signal you need. no converter or gains needed.

The other is this one.
Metra 70-5512 Ford Premium Sound System Amp Integrator Plug
this one you will need a High/Low converter. so the price may be near the same as Scosche.

hope you have better luck than I did. I had no sound coming from the factory receiver or CD player. so I decided to put my Pioneer from my LX to my SC. it works. but go figure the sub is blown!:mad: need to find something to replace the bottom cd player now.

Last edited:
Hi Mark - I have a dumb "Q" - I got this SC from my dad & he had someone put in a cheap Alpine (this is a low end one) unit. He did give me the old Ford stereo as well & Im pretty sure the car didnt have the JBL system but today I was poking around under the package tray & I see a 3rd box next to the ride control module & ABS, this intrigues me as it has a sticker on it from an outfit that used to fix Ford stereos in the Silicon Valley area. Do you know what it is? Is it an amp of some kind or????
Thanks for your time!
Arnold In The Smokies

Ah - this question is right up my ally as I've done this on three SC's now.

You will need the Scosche harness that has the Ford adapters for the Power and Speakers at one end and loose wires at the other. They're marked for which is which. I made my own harness by combining the two. I think the Scosche kit cost me around $10.

Look at the SCCoA home page for the link to the 35th Anniversary Tbird site. On it you'll find a section regarding the factory radio wiring colors and connections.

After awhile, you'll want to upgrade further and get better speakers and amps. I rewired my system completely when I installed Alpine amps and bolted them upside down to the bottom of the package tray in the trunk.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck,
Mark

I got the stock system till I upgrade everything. I hooked a jl12w3 to the factory amp and was completely suprised:eek::p the f..n thing pounds. I'm goona add a set of alpine tweeters to the fronts for now, I'm sure it will throw the ohm load of but if it works and sound decant who care's.

The "other" box you refer to could be the factory amp for the premium radio system, since it has a sticker from a stereo repair shop.

The JBL system has two amps - one mounted on the package tray and the other on the subwoffer box.

Mark

I went over how my alpine is hooked up, and there was an adapter harness put in at the amp in the trunk that bypasses the amp. Good idea considering my alpine can put out 45 watts front and back which is more than the stock amp can do.

Cool - I need to look at things closer - I believe the Alpine thats in there is a high power unit as well, not sure how they wired it in.
Arnold In The Smokies

I have so many wires I can push mine all the way back its such a tight space like everything else on these cars

Back