Screamin' Deamon or Accel?

MikeKanterakis

SCCoA Member
So, theres the Screamin' Deamon coil pack and then there's the Accel coil pack (140036).

Accel says it has 10%-15% more energy than the OEM coils. Specialized high temperature epoxy resists shock and vibration, while increasing thermal conductivity. They feature advanced bobbin technology, highly specialized silicone magnetic steel cores, along with optimized winding, resistance and turns ratio.

If anyone can shed some light on what all that stuff means (or what any of that stuff means) I'd appreciate it.

Last time I heard the word bobbin... It was about apples, or sewing machines, or ;-)

And what's wrong with the stock coil pack on DIS cars?

Who said anything is wrong with it.

Whats wrong with our heads....intake...cam....tb..MAF....

The truth is nothings "Wrong"

But there is always room for improvement

Don't get me started on whats wrong with our heads. Lack of head bolts, deck thickness, port design, port location, valve sizes.....

So what's the answer to the actual question, which coil pack is the better way to go? I read somewhere else on the board that the SD pack knocks a few tenths of the 1/4. Any truth to that?

Exactly, that's what gets me about both deals. We've heard about Screamin' Deamon last summer. I was down for that b/c it was "better" than stock. Now that there's competition from 2 manufacturers (or suppliers), what exactly is the difference?

A description like "10% better" or "more dwell" sounds great, but shouldn't there be some kind of actual way to measure the SPARK? with numbers?

( I know that 10% is a number).

Now, a coil pack could be better than another, but it could also not necessarily result in better spark inside the cylinder.

Well in the past the PD has always put out a better product inmo and always made in the USA with brass contact points..Thats what I'd go with..Plus it aint yellow

Ive cut .5 sec off with a 5.0 using their coil and ignition modual combo..They clain .33 sec off a 3.8 stang time..Ya never know

MikeKanterakis said:
Accel says it has 10%-15% more energy than the OEM coils. Specialized high temperature epoxy resists shock and vibration, while increasing thermal conductivity. They feature advanced bobbin technology, highly specialized silicone magnetic steel cores, along with optimized winding, resistance and turns ratio.

If anyone can shed some light on what all that stuff means (or what any of that stuff means) I'd appreciate it.
It's mainly advertizing 'hype'. ALL coil manufacturers are faced with the same design parameters, they just embellish the obvious (which works like a charm from what I can see :) ) Just for laughs lets go through their selling points...

-10% to 15% more energy. Since coils are 'passive' devices (they don't add power to the circuit themselves), in order to supply an increase in energy they must draw that increase from the driver circuits (namely the DIS module). You should ask yourself if you 'need' that power increase because our DIS modules are already running very hard as it is.

-High temperature epoxy resin/increased thermal conductivity. They ALL use this (they have to). However, it would be remiss for the advertizers not to include this as a selling point.

-Advanced bobbin technology/highly specialized silicone magnetic steel cores. Again, ALL coil manufacturers use high silicone steel cores. This is done to optimize the cores for the design frequency and to minimize losses due to eddy currents and hysteresis. This knowledge is not new either... magnetic core technology has been well researched for the last 100 years. Again, it would be remiss for the advertizers not to include this as another selling point.

-Optimized winding, resistance and turns ratio. ALL manufacturers 'optimize' the design parameters of their coils. That is to say, they examine what the primary drive circuit load requirements are and what the output power requirements are and finalize their winding specifications based on that. Once again, advertizers are stating the obvious here. Transformer technology is not new and has also been well researched for the last 100 years.

Bottom line: you're reading an advertisement, not an impartial assessment of a product.

Scott Long said:
And what's wrong with the stock coil pack on DIS cars?
Our OE ignition systems are pretty damn good! They are very powerful. The only weak point is the 89~93 DIS modules (they are run hard).

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Ive cut .5 sec off with a 5.0 using their coil and ignition modual combo..They clain .33 sec off a 3.8 stang time..Ya never know
Apples and Oranges. You are comparing a 'single coil' system to our 'multiple coil' system. On a 'single coil' system you run out of sufficient dwell time around 6,000 RPM; however we simply don't have to worry about that. Our coil packs require ~3ms to fully charge, and even at 6,000 RPM they still have ~10ms available to charge.

If your ignition system is working fine, installing another so-called 'high performance' coil pack will gain you nothing and may possibly shorten the DIS module lifespan. My advice is to save your money for something else that will actually improve performance.

Thanks for the information Paul,
You mentioned Hysteresis. I've only heard that term before to describe how much you can turn the steering wheel back and forth when driving down a straight road and still maintain a completely forward direction. Steering Hysteresis. What are you referring to when you use the term?

You also said that the 89-93 DIS's are "run hard"... what does that mean? I thought that the only difference btwn the early and late models was the location.

You mentioned the "drain" on the DIS module that may take place when using an aftermarket coilpack. Well, what about getting a lifetime warranty DIS from Autozone?

Thanks again for the information regarding the Accel coil.

And yeah, Damon, Yellow would suck!

Paul I was merely stating that there products have worked in the past for me.

They claim a .33 sec advantage with there coil pack over stock on a non supercharged engine. I had noticed a .5 difference on a relatively stock 5.0...Near what they claim. As a matte rof fact everyone that has used there products has been more then happy with them..That I know at least

Also something I hadnt mentioned was I added there coils to my 2 vavle supercharged engine which was blowing the spark out up top. The minute I used there coils it went away.

As we all know you can make two different items with the same technology and the build quality and componants used for one be far superior creating a superior performance. EVen when the technology is simple and has been around for 100years. Afterall they keep reinventing the wheel better and better everytime..Still a wheel though

Anyway again will this coil produce great performance..Or even make a difference..I dont know..Never used it..However they claim .33 sec of 1/4 time and have a good reputation

Yes marketing is just that marketing. Doesnt mean the product itself doesnt perform

If we use that logic, then a new coil is by far the best HP/dollar investment you can EVER make for your SC. .33 sec??? You'd be hard pressed to get that with an S-Port and MP plenum over a stock blower. Either that or someone's lying, sad thing is people believe it.

Heck, I was getting spark blow out on my car, pulled the plugs and wires, looked at them, put them back on and "poof" no more spark blow out. Ask Ryan Ruvolo about spark blow out on his $$ Magnacore wires vs. Autozone wires.

All too often I see someone with a great running car and they ask me "what can I do to make more power?" Most often my answer is "nothing." If your car runs great then leave it alone. If you are having issues, then fix them, but don't go replacing parts just because you can.

But back on topic, many parts have shown "gains" in certain circumstances but only real performance parts will show consistent gains. I've yet to see any documented performance gains on a DIS system from an aftermarket coil.

And yes, the 94 DIS is totally different than the 89-93 one.

What do you consider documented? There was a time when people on this very site said we couldnt make use of a blower larger then an m90..Or that we dont need more then a set of stock ported heads..Or...The list goes on.

Again I'm not selling this product nor am going to do any "documented" testing. This company has been around for YEARS and has a proven track record.

A better spark in and of itself will not give you power..If you are burning your fuel 100% then there is no need for a more intense or longer duration spark.

Something to be said is they did as in the past all testing with a wider spark plug gap which does produce a more complete burn thus making more power...However a stock coil generally cant handle that extra gap.

So what could this potentially do for us?....For those of us who need to reduce ourgap because of spark blowout undr high boost...Perhaps we wont hav eto..Which will lead to more power production ..

Would I suggest increasing the gap..Maybe if I had stock boost I'd give it a try....But again if it can prevent me from having to reduce my gap from stock..I'm sold..And theoretically thats just what its capable of doing. Nothing really more to say on the topic though. I can only give my experiences...

And yes $ for $ on my stang at least..It was one of the best mods I had ever done..On my 4.6..I dont know but it definitely ran better

Back