Underdrive Pulleys

thundrburd

I am looking to get a set of underdrive pulleys for my 95 auto sc, where would be the best and cheapest place to get them, thanks

I got mine from www.supercoupeperformance.com they cost about $180 plus shipping (around $200 total). They work, I noticed my car was trapping higher MPH at the shootout after I installed them the night before. I'd say the 15 hp is about right. I don't know if it'd be rear wheel or crank, but my car went faster which shows it was making more horsepower.

My headlights and dash lights dim slightly at idle but as soon as I hit the gas they go back to normal. I don't ever have problems with my battery going dead so I'd say the loss of charging at idle is so minimal it wouldn't be an issue. I also have a stereo system (MTX amp, 2 10" Pioneer subs, Pioneer deck, kicker and pioneer 5x7's), and I run a radar detector all the time. No problems with the charging.

I'd highly recommend them.

Eventually I'll send my alternator to get rebuilt for higher output and that should solve the dimming lights at idle. But it's 100% livable.

well I saw the ones on scp but they dont have the black for my 95 , for some reason they only come in the polished so I was wanting to see if anyone else knew of another place to get the black ones, if not I will go with polished, I just would prefer black, but thanks for the info of wether there worth it or not, cause that question was in my mind too

Tony,

ASP makes black anodized underdrive pulleys, but they are heavier than the polished aluminum ones. You will still gain the advantage of underdriving the accessories, but you can gain slightly more by going with the aluminum one. Any place that sells ASP pulleys should be able to get you the right ones for the SC, heck, Bill can probably still get them.

well I saw the ones on scp but they dont have the black for my 95 , for some reason they only come in the polished so I was wanting to see if anyone else knew of another place to get the black ones, if not I will go with polished, I just would prefer black, but thanks for the info of wether there worth it or not, cause that question was in my mind too

did you see this........?? Bottom of page 7.

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?category=18

Ira

Not to call you out, Kurt, but anodizing is a process used to color and harden aluminum, I believe. So its just a matter of what color, or lack there of, they get anodized to. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, and the anodize adds weight, but I can't imagine it being more than a gram.

Thanks, Kurt (also)

Last edited:
Not to call you out, Kurt, but anodizing is a process used to color and harden aluminum, I believe. So its just a matter of what color, or lack there of, they get anodized to. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, and the anodize adds weight, but I can't imagine it being more than a gram.

Thanks, Kurt (also)
At least one of the pulleys in the ASP set is steel :) Looking back, I obviously didn't explain myself in the first post very well, but since others may not know what anodizing is, it was an informative slip-up.

Kurt, so the polished aluminum ones will give me a little bit more performance over the black ones ? if so I guess I could go with them, I just havent done anything to my engine as far as show so I didnt really need anything pretty. But thanks for the help, at the meet you said there pretty easy to put on right, I wont need to take any major parts off the engine ? thanks for the help

IRA the ones on page 7 wont work for the 95 sc, the polished ones are the only ones that work on my year

Kurt, so the polished aluminum ones will give me a little bit more performance over the black ones ? if so I guess I could go with them, I just havent done anything to my engine as far as show so I didnt really need anything pretty. But thanks for the help, at the meet you said there pretty easy to put on right, I wont need to take any major parts off the engine ? thanks for the help

IRA the ones on page 7 wont work for the 95 sc, the polished ones are the only ones that work on my year

That'll teach me to read through the entire description next time :eek: :eek:

Ira

My pullies from SCP are black. What changed in 95? The water pump is simple to change the pulley, just loosen the bolts before you take the belt off, the alternator I pulled off and put it on the bench and impacted the nut off the pulley comes right off then. The crank is easy, it can only go on one way because the bolt pattern is offset a bit.

Last edited:
Hey Kurt, where did you get your underdrive pulleys ?
I bought my original underdrives directly from ASP's office in TX (I was there on business). I later bought some aluminum underdrives from Ryan Harris, but he no longer sell them. The last set I bought from a guy that decided to sell all of the parts he had accumulated prior to assembling his car (they were polished March pulleys, I think what Bill sells).

x2 on the March set. They look and perform great, and if you find them, they are all used, so they aren't too expensive.

Had the March v pulleys on a 460 ford build and after a couple years the belts ground into the pullies making them useless. Any such issues with the serp version?

I don't know about March ones, but my ASP's are good as new. The serpentine belt is flatter and doesn't put as much pressure onto the pulley as a v-belt. The surface pressure is spread out across the width of the belt, where as the v-belt concentrates the pressure onto the smaller width surface which may eventually wear into a softer pulley material.

so it would seem that scp is the only place to get them ? I am figuring out how much I have to pay in taxes today and if it isnt to much then I am going to order them, unfortunately if its alot in taxes i am going to have to wait, but my problem is I'm to damn impatient

I am usually lucky enough to get money back each year. I don't know what it will be like next year now that I am married.

so it would seem that scp is the only place to get them ? I am figuring out how much I have to pay in taxes today and if it isnt to much then I am going to order them, unfortunately if its alot in taxes i am going to have to wait, but my problem is I'm to damn impatient

I think you can get them direst from asp.I thought I seen them on there website for like 175.The website is www.aspracing.com. Look under street pulleys for ford then it'll let you select SC. Jay

Back