Re-using head gaskets

A1cntrler

I have recieved a longblock and it had the standard Torque-to-yield bolts on the heads. If I wanter to use the ARP studs, would I need to replace the head gaskets on it as well althought the motor has never run, or can I just reuse them?

With ARP's you'll need to tap the holes in the block with a bottoming tap to clean up the last few partial threads so the studs will seat down and not interfere with the exhaust manifolds. It's not a simple R&R job. The heads need to be off so that you can reach the bottom of the hole, and still get a tap handle on the tap. Unless you can come up with some oddball extra-long tap.

JD

I have recieved a longblock and it had the standard Torque-to-yield bolts on the heads. If I wanter to use the ARP studs, would I need to replace the head gaskets on it as well althought the motor has never run, or can I just reuse them?

why not replace them anyway, they commenly go so just replace them and have the piece of knowledge to know that you have new headgaskets

You have to ask yourself one question How much do I enjoy tearing the heads off this thing? :mad: If it were me I'd sacrifice the gaskets for new ones that were never torqued and do it myself. Then I'd know what gaskets I had and they were done right.:) Not to mention issues concerning tapping threads and properly installing headstuds. And the fact the torque values are different between bolts and studs. Always remember labor always is a major cost compared to cost of parts.

Thay are supposed to be Fel-pro gaskets (the rest of the gasket kit they sent me are all Fel-pros) I would like to remove the heads and do a gasket match at that time too. Makes more sense to me to do that off of the block to keep as much junk out of the motor as possible. I may as well just go ahead and replace them while I have it apart. Maybe I'll keep them around for an emergency or something, since they basically are new... Now which ARP set do I need? I see some say that the Chevy 2.8 ones are a perfect fit, while the ford once need some type of modification??

Oh and yes, it is brand spankin' new (As much as a remnufactured block can be)

The ARP part # is 233-4003 they are $83.88 + shipping from Summit. These are the ones for the Chevy 2.8 .

Any recommendation on head gaskets?? Should I go with the Fel-Pro ones again, or is there something better out there? My sis-in-law's boy friend said somehting about Cometic Gaskets. Is this a brand or a type??

I am using Felpro have used them for years and no gasket related failures. I understand Ford used them on later models so if it is good enough for Henry {Ford} it is good enough for me.

Back