Idle Problems

nastybird93sc

The Car Runs And Runs Damn Good But I Have To Keep My Foot In The Throttle A Little Bit, (around Like 1100 Rpm's) Is There Any Common Problem (like A Sensor) That Wouldn't Let The Car Idle. When I First Got The Car The Dis Module Was Out, So I Changed It And All I Had At The Time Was Some Scilicone,and It Ran Fine. But In The Process Of Swaping Tranny's I Replaced The Scilicone With Some Di Electric Grease.not Sure If That Would Have Any Effect.if Anyone Can Help, Please Do. Thanks,joe:)

I Found The Problem But I Don't Know The Cause Of The Problem. It Is Running Really Rich, So Rich That It Won't Idle, It's Blowing Black Soot ( The Cats Are Gutted) , And Now It Kinda Sputters While Trying To Give It Gas. I Cleaned All The Plugs And It Idled For A Little Over 4 Min And Then Died. After A Search Of The Forums I Re-cleaned The Plugs And Started The Car. It Idled Againg And I Unplugged The (iac) And The Car Died Instantly So I Am Pretty Sure That The (iac) Is Good. I Have Been Over It And Over It Looking For Vac Leaks And Boost Leaks. I Found One Small Vac Leak And Fixed It. Not Sure If It Could Be The O2 Sensors Cause The Check Engine Light Hasn't Come On Yet, So I Am Not Sure If A Scanner Will Pick Up A Code If The Check Engine Light Isn't On. The Boost Gauge Was Pulling 18 Lbs Of Vac And Now Is Pulling 15 Lbs. So I Am Still Under The Impression That It Is A Vac Leak But I Just Can't Find It. Any Help Is Appreciated. Thanks,joe:)

I had an O2 sensor go bad when the headgasket blew on my old 91. Never got a CEL for it and it eventually clogged up the cat till the point it didn't want to run.

You can try unplugging the O2s and see if it runs better. Of course the CEL will be on, but it will give you an idea if the O2s might be the culprit.

SWAG
1. Always Disconnect battery to clear EEC memory(of A/F), after every change.
2. Clean MAF or replace.
3. Replace O2 sensors. (running rich for an extended periods of time made mine go bad)
4. Again vacuum leak
5. Maybe a injector went bad.

Well, Not To Sound Stupid But. I Cleaned All My Plugs Again And Switched The Maf Back To The Stock One, And Got The Car To Idle Long Enough To Filled( Thinking That Maybe It Had A Temp Sensor That Wouldn't Let It Run Right. And , Now I Think It Is A Boost Leak, A Bigg One. I Got A Little Bit Of Water Coming Out Of One Of My Tail Pipes Now And The Overflow Smells Like Exhaust A Little. So , Not Sure Where To Go From Here.thanks For All The Help, Joe:)

Sounds like you may have several things going on.
The goofy idle can be several things
1-Motor mounts
2-Vacuum and Boost leaks leaks
3-DIS
4-Headgaskets
5-Plug Wires

The water out the tail pipe is not a happy thing!
This could be an intake that needs yo be tightened down, but most likely its a headgasket. The antifreeze will kill your O2 sensors'

Good Luck!

I Have New Plugs, Wires, Dis Module,and Solid Motor Mounts, So I Can Rule Those Out. As Far As The Water Out Of The Tail Pipe, I Think I Got Over Excited Because The Engine Runs Great, No Steam Or Mist, And The Radiator Is Still Perfectly Full After A Lot Of Run Time With No Sign Of Getting Hot. I Changed Out The Cam Sensor Just In Case. The Engine Idles But It Jumps Between 600-700 And That Appears To Be The Only Thing I Can't Figure Out. Thanks,joe:)

Mine is doing the same thing...after it warms up its fine though. I did an O2 sensor..i have an 89 and it only has one...coil...tried other maf's...iac...fuel filter...i get no CEL...no odd vacuum spikes. This week im going to do plugs and wires. My car too has gutted cats..which will get changed soon hopefully. IM also doing motor mounts in the odd chance the engine is sitting slow low...and it is...that the metal on metal contact is throwing off the knock sensor at cold idle.The car runs great once it warms p and my coolant is fine and not odd colored and im not losing any so its not a headgasket. Hell im even getting like 280 miles out of a tank a gas and hardly any of the driving i do is highway.

Back