Long Distance Shipping Idea??

frdlvr30

Any of you guys shipped an SC long distance lately. Frieght company suggestions, price and distance you shipped?? Im looking to get one shipped from San Antonio to Virginia Beach (1600 miles)....Any input would be appreciated...Dave

I had an SC shipped from CA to VA for $650 from DASautoshippers www.dasautoshippers.com. I had to pick up in Ashland (just north of Richmond) as that is thier drop off location. They will deliver it to your door for about twice the quoted rate. I put in a generic zip code for San Antonio and it quoted me about 500 bucks to ship an SC to Ashland, VA. The quote also increases a lot if the vehicle is non running or becomes that way during transit. My car did arrive coated in transmission fluid/oil as it rode on the bottom of the hauler. I wasn't going to pay another 400 bucks for it to ride on the top since I really didn't care about the paint as it is in my plans to redo that in the future.

I have also used this site before with excellent results. I shipped a non running halfway finished project (1972 VW Superbeetle) from here to Orlando FL for 650 in an enclosed carrier. Transit time was an unbelievable 24 hours. They picked up at my house in my driveway at 8 pm, and I got a call from the person I sold the car to the next evening saying how much he loved the car.. It is auction based. You place the amount you want to ship it for in your listing and shippers bid on your shipment. It is www.uship.com

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was quoted 508.00 from them the other day. They will probably be who ill use. Im covered if they damage the vehicle, right?? I can handle needing to be washed...

When whom ever drops it off in San Antonio, they will do a walk around and mark what is wrong with the car at drop off. When I saw my inspection sheet, I think they used an entire ink pen marking the scratches/dings/etc... If I wanted to fight something, it was probably already noted on the shipping sheet..

If you need help picking it up let me know. If you have access to a tow dolly (That is what I used) or a trailer I have a tow vehicle (But I can't pull stuff from Uhaul as I have been banned because I have a Sport Trac (since i thas Explorer in the name, U-haul deems it too much of a liability therefore denies anyone with an explorer a trailer, but if I had an Avaitor or Moutaineer, but I am off on a rant now...))

I have been to the location too. Pretty easy to get to right off of Route 1. I pulled it back here down 17 (wanted to avoid 64 as much as possible) and by the time I got on 64 to go through the tunnel it was late in the evening and traffic was not a problem. A trailer would be better to tow this with as these cars ain't light!

Last edited:
see if they will allow it to be shipped with a car cover on it....it will have to be secured some way though. I drive a rig, but not a car hauler and of course most are not covered i have seen some.
Being that you are purchasing one of those prize possesions in SA. i would hate to see it arrive covered in something other then water and dirt.
Motor oil and or tranny fluid will not only be a PITA to get off, but can due serious damage.

Are you getting one from Txsc?? I wouldn't use a mass transit carrier like DAS then. If you really care about it go with one from Uship. Pick a retired guy that spends his time driving his dually and a gooseneck around and hauls one at a time. You might get lucky and find someone who is on his way back to VA after a TX drop off and will pull it back relativly cheap. I say put your requirements up on the site and give it a few days. Look at the feedback posted on the site from people that have used the shippers bidding on your car... If you do end up using DAS and need a ride up to pick it up (You would be able to drive it home) I can possible give you a ride. I don't think they would go for a cover on the car, as who knows how many time it is loaded and unloaded on the trip here...

hey Dave, the last time I talked to you I distinctly remember you saying that you would never buy another car off the internet:rolleyes: so I guess you've changed your mind.....lol Its a nice looking ride, I think you ought to get his red xr7 with 31,000 miles for 500 bucks more.

Yes, i am buying the Sc from Txsc. Thats what i was saying about the open carrier. I can handle cleaning it, im just worried about other damage... I tried the uship site and it wont let me finish the regisration, where it sends you the email, you click the link, then type in you password. I type the damn password in and nothing happens...

I could just fly down and drive it back, but its 340 for the plane ticket, then 1600 miles back, with a hotel stay somewhere, food and four or five tanks of fuel...its gonna cost 600-700 bucks. Plus with the better half being so far along in her pregnancy, im scared to be that far away...

I could just fly down and drive it back, but its 340 for the plane ticket, then 1600 miles back, with a hotel stay somewhere, food and four or five tanks of fuel...its gonna cost 600-700 bucks. Plus with the better half being so far along in her pregnancy, im scared to be that far away...

Of all my sc's i flew to pick each one of them up except 1, if you can ....do it....really i just like to see what im getting, and do business in person if all possible.
You can find plane tickets for cheapo if you do 14 days in advanced, and fuel is not as bad as you think unless you keep the hammer down, hotel...maybe, i never have though, i once drove one sc from NJ to Tx 2000 miles in 25 hrs:eek: ...

Back