Weird Issue

Tech_Greek

So, I fixed my problem with the belt slipping, but now the boost gauge is shooting up to 15 PSI at WOT...which seems a little high for WOT on a stock pulley [there's nothing modded about the car that I can tell besides the cats being removed].

If I punch it from a start it hauls, up to about 3,500 RPM...then it bogs and will short shift into second and bog more.

Do a second gear pull from about 50 MPH it HAULS until about the top of the gear when it starts bogging in.

Previous Owner put in new spark plugs and the wires 'look' ok, relatively new.

To me it feels like it's a fuel delivery problem so I'm thinking it could be the pump or the injectors.

- Eric

bogging down

do you still have converters on it? if you do, you need to have them checked, or check them out yourself. if they are the problem, you had better fix'em soon, or your next project will be headgaskets.
good luck, sean

/

The converters were taken off as far as I can tell, I'm thinking the mufflers might be backed up because 15 PSI doesn't make any sense on a stocker besides a object blocking the exhaust right?

We're going to drop the res back tomorrow and see what it does...hopefully that's what it is because I want a new exhaust anyway.

Which one gives the deapest sound, magnaflow, or flowmaster? Which is better?

Thanks!

- Eric

Alright,

Update, I went ahead and redid 3 out of the 6 wires on the driver side (and boy let me tell you, crapola) and the plugs were gapped at 60, so I gapped them down to 48 [Autolites I believe can't remember now].

But anyway, there's still a little misfire that I can feel, but not any to make me go 'oh god I can't go WOT to pass this lady, it moves now'...

The boost is still bothering me though, it shoots up to 16 PSI or so then right before the gear change it drops down to 14 PSI then goes back up to 15/16 PSI, I'm wondering if the gauge is inaccurate? Do they go bad or need to be calibrated? I can't find a gauge for the life of me to rent and I don't want to spend $200 on a good boost gauge if the current is fine.

1) I did drop the cat back, sounded good, but only 1 PSI drop
2) I banged around on the exhaust, all sounded hollow and good, no 'clogged' points that I could see or tell.
3) The cats are gone, not gutted but GONE, mandrel bent pipe in it's place welded good.
4) Exhaust leak at passenger side manifold, is it possible that the manifold could be clogged? I've never seen that happen but I can't really unbolt resonator back to check as its now welded.

EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE

Starting with the engine at idle, slowly increase engine speed to 3000 RPM, engine vacuum should be equal to or higher than idle vacuum at 3000 RPM.

If vacuum decreases at higher engine RPM's, an excessive exhaust back pressure is probably present.

I don't experience any kind of drop or anything so I'm starting to bet the gauges are fubared, do they just miscalibrate like that?

Back