Head porting ?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Is it necessary to port the exhaust ports on the heads? I started gasket matching mine is it a bad idea? or a help? looks like the ports on the exhaust manifolds are MUCH larger than the ones on the heads so......

There is supposed to be a lip on the Head exhaust ports to prevent exhaust gasses from feeding back into the heads. But as far as porting, im not really sure.

- Dan

A lip can be good for anti-reversion. If you are staying with stock manifold, I would leave the port size alone and concentrate your efforts on making them smooth and straight. The problem is the firing order and reversion is a problem on most manifold designs. Longer primaries will help but unless you are going to build your own bundle-of-snakes 6-3-1 (1&5 2&6 3&4, each primary 180' out) exhaust, reversion is a concern.

Also, the further you port the stock exhaust manifold primaries, the further you can open up the exhaust port and still have the same degree on anti-reversion.

Jason

porting

well i already ported it to match, so ill have to see if it helps or not. ill let you know once the car is together and running. don

Back