Cam Sensor Position

XxSlowpokexX

Hey guys,

I have never installed a cam sensor lets say 180 degrees off or anything and seriously have no idea how that would affect performance.\

However we recently did a head and cam setup on Millers car and its running what appears to be pig rich. Could he have possably put the cam sensor in off...? I want there when he installed it but he said he did it following some posted directions. Would that have that affect..Anyone experience this before?\

Its the only thing I can think of that could have been put in wrong

Thanks guys

Damon

Hey guys,

I have never installed a cam sensor lets say 180 degrees off or anything and seriously have no idea how that would affect performance.\

However we recently did a head and cam setup on Millers car and its running what appears to be pig rich. Could he have possably put the cam sensor in off...? I want there when he installed it but he said he did it following some posted directions. Would that have that affect..Anyone experience this before?\

Its the only thing I can think of that could have been put in wrong

Thanks guys

Damon

wouldn't him not having the correct mafs effect it

The blue tube I got is the right one. I talked to Dalke, and he gave me that tube bc he said I should be maxing out my 42# inj's, so the blue is a little bit leaner then the orange.. I read all of the posts I could find on installing the CPS, and thought the install went pretty good.. but i dont know...I felt in the #1 cyl and rotated motor until the motor until the piece of tubing i had in there got pushed all the way up. I looked and "0" on the balancer was more or less pointing strait up.. I then turned it a little and lined up the notch on the balancer, with the pointer on the cover. I slid the CPS in and tryed to align it the way I saw in the pictures, making sure i could fit a matchbook cover in the space... I am not sure if I have the whole unit itself pointed the right angle, I tryed to match it to what i saw in pictures.... , If i get the CPS tool, Is that a surefire way to get it seet corectly ?

Could any problems caused by this, make me have any less vac ? I know i should lose vac with my cam, but I know shouldnt be as much as I am. In D im only getting like 10in...I checked everywhereee and found no vac leaks that I could knotice....

Last edited:
Nahhh....although there isnt a so to speak correct sample tube for a 76mm MAF on a 94-95 he should be close enough for it to run ok..But it doesnt..If teh plug wires are all in right...only thing I can imagine it being

It could easily be 180 deg out. I don't see where you verified that it was on tdc compression.... But usually it won't start if it is out 180 deg or it will be very hard to start and won't idle.

No need for the install tool. Just line up the HB and then use a razor blade or some other thin straight edge and align the vane so that it cuts a path that goes right out the middle of the notch with the moon shape back towards the motor. I do this all the time and it's always 100% dead nuts right.

You could just line the timing mark up on the balancer then take the synchronizer out and rotate it 180*, then put it back in.

It will either be TDC on cylinder number one or five. Well, they will both be on TDC, but one cylinder will be on overlap, on the cam, and the valves will be shut on the other cylinder.

If you want to make sure. I didnt take the valvecover off. I took the oil filler tube and took a flash light and rotated and watch the rocker move the valve. Followed the instructions according the ones posted here. Just a short cut FYI.

180 degrees off

Got to remember to have Cyl 1 on compression stroke! TDC happens twice per combustion event suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Sounds like your on the blow not the squeeze!

when I had put the CPS in, I had marked it, so I could do it easy next time.. well I had my friend come over, and watch in the oil fill to see if the rockers moved, and when he said they did, i lined up the notch to the pointed the best I couuld. got up, and took a look. my 2 marks, are 180deg opposite each other.......idk how I lined it up last time with the pointed and now its 180 off, maybe i turned motor and didnt realize... also, I knoticed the moon part, was towards the front of the motor, not the back.....

do I need to take the supercharger off to get at that torx bolt holding it down, and also to pull the CPS out far enough to rotate it ?

It only needs to be lifted enough to unengage the gears. What you have to realize to is if you line up everything then install the cps setup it will move when the gears engage. You need to make sure once its seated everything is where it should be. I used to check fo rteh compression stroke by putting a wet papertowel ball in the spark plug hole...When it poped I always knew I was on the compression stroke

I'd replace that torx bolt with a hex bolt if you ever have to do anything with it again you'll be glad you did.
Dan

well I had my friend come over, and watch in the oil fill to see if the rockers moved, and when he said they did, i lined up the notch to the pointed the best I couuld. got up, and took a look. my 2 marks, are 180deg opposite each other.......idk how I lined it up last time with the pointed and now its 180 off, maybe i turned motor and didnt realize... also, I knoticed the moon part, was towards the front of the motor, not the back.....

do I need to take the supercharger off to get at that torx bolt holding it down, and also to pull the CPS out far enough to rotate it ?

Rockers moving = overlap, not compression.

maybe im better off with the blow the ball out of the sparkplug idea then eh?

allllllllllllright... had a nice long phone call and i think I got myself streightened out, and I learned, that I have no idea what I am doing.. HA... but now i understand the whole compression stroke thing, and how the way I did it, told me nothing. next chance I get im pulling the rad+IC out so I can see whats goin on with the balancer.. Im going to do the big spitball thing to know if im on the correct stroke, then find zero, then line up the notch and pointer..... when I line up the zero, the zero is supposed to be in line with the pointer, to be at TDC ? then I turn it a little bit and match up the notch, correct ? I have the alignment tool coming, just so I can sleep at night.. should be here tomorrow... ugh what nightmare...

also, my fuel rails dont hold fuel pressure overnight..I turned key, left it and came back in about 20 minutes, hit the pin and it still had pressure, but only shot up maybe 6 inches.. is that normal ? I thought I rememberd it shooting alot farther then that... I have pulled the vac line off the regulator and no fuel squirt out....pulling the sparks plugs will be my sure fire way of knowing if i have a leaking injector or not ? the fuel pump I replaced with a 255 right when I got the car, about 5k miles ago.....

BTW : Unplugged CPS, ran much worse...

Last edited:
Back