Overheating Nightmare!

dellapor

I have had my sc for 3 years now... i have already replaced radiator, headgaskets, thermostat, and just recently installed a new water pump the other day because of another overheating problem.
After taking it around the block a few times, my car started overheatin again and when i came to a stop, radiator fluid was leakin from two different spots. It was drippin pretty hard from right under the radiator (possible hose prob) but then i noticed a slower drip coming from the waterpump area. I think something is wrong with the hose connecting the water pump to the radiator but it was too dark outside to get a good look. While drivin it, i also turned on the heat but no heat was comin from the vents. My engine slightly started misfiring too when it overheated... but nothing too crazy. The car runs pretty good other than that. Im still a newbie with fixin cars, so bear with me. Oh yeah... the car is runnin hotter than hell, but the when i touch the radiator cap, its not that bad. Please let me know what you guys think.

:confused:
Aki Dellaportas

Where did you buy the water pump from? I have been told by very good sources to only get the OEM water pump, not an aftermarket one.

Did you change the radiator hoses? When I changed mine, they appeared to be in good shape from the outside, but once I got them off. The hoses were in bad shape on the inside.

Radiator Cap: What is the condition of the gasket under the radiator cap? If is all dry rotten, get a new 16lb radiator cap.

Thermostat: What thermostat are you running? I changed from the stocker (197º) to a Robert Shaw 180º....and most of my cooling problems were gone. Make sure that the air dam under your car is in good shape and is firmly attached, thus to push air from under the car and behind the radiator for cooling.

No Heat: Is the passenger side floor board wet? If so, Heater Core is toast or could be like you said a heater hose that could be leaking.

My .02¢

Cheers,
Calvin

Sounds like when the head gaskets went in my '89. The car was missing because the number 3 cylinder was burning the antifreeze. I had no heat inside the car. The car still ran great, but on 5 cylinders...it would still lay a patch. Not that this is your problem but it sounds similar to what I was experiencing! Your no heat problem could be you are just low on antifreeze (which is likely if it is leaking). I don't know why it would start missing. When my '89 was running on 5 cylinders and I would try to kick the a/c on to bring the fan on the temp would jump from the N to the red section in seconds. That was the last time I drove it.

The water pump was purchased at Ford. When i took them off, the looked like they were in good shape. Ill take a better look tomorrow. Radiator cap is in pretty good shape too. I will probably change the thermostat in the near future. Im goin to work on it tomorrow morning... I will post more then.

Aki

Back