Drag Tires

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
For those of you running drag racing tires I was wondering what the difference and advantages/disadvantages of running the MT ET Streets vs the ET Street Radials are.

Is one better than the other if so why?

Is the tube required for the ET Streets? Obviously not for the radials.

I thought I saw somewhere where the ET Streets are better for 5 Spd cars and and the Radials are Good for Autos, but I couldn't find it.

Just a little confused which I should go with.

This thing really rips the tires off of it off the line and I want to make sure they grip, but want to compete in the street class here locally, so no drag slicks allowed.

Some info that may help: 95SC Auto with 3.73's and 2300-2500 Stall converter, MPIII, 10% JS Pulley, 42# Injectors, 80mm MAF, 75mm TB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Smitty

I talked to a tech rep at Mickey Thompson on Friday about this. He told me that indeed with a 5 speed to stay with the ET Street bias ply and they do recommend a tube and with an AOD to go with the ET Street Radial. I haven't run the MT drag radial on mine but I always had trouble hooking up my BFG Drag Radials so I sold them to a guy with an AOD. The sidewall on the radial is too stiff and doesn't have enough flex to launch well with a 5 speed. My ET Streets are the tubeless 3791 made for the Japanese market and is no longer made. The 3792 is the current version and is a 26x10.5x16. The 3794 is a 27x10.5x16. For some reason it is listed as 2 lbs lighter and $10 cheaper than the smaller 3792. The MT drag radial is a 255x50x16. All of them will fit our 8" rims.

Not that I would recommend them (and I have them on my car now), but 26 x 11.50 MT ET Streets will also fit on our stock rim. Also, I've been running them tubeless. I do have one tire that leaks down between trips to the track, so I just check the air before they go on the car.

The bias ply tire will have a taller sidewall as well as flexibility. This will net you better traction. You will have troubles getting traction on the drag radials. They have too small of a sidewall.

It doesn't make sense, to me, why you would run an ET street anyways. Just find some 15" wheels and run an MT drag slick. 16" rims weigh more than a 15" rim and the tires are heavier than the full slicks are. The sidewall shrink rates on Hoosiers are quite high and Goodyear slicks are too heavy, so don't run those.

Are you wanting to use the tires on the street? I wouldn't recommend that unless you want $300 to go down the drain quickly. Forget the tubes, just air the tires up when you get to the track. They don't leak that quickly.

Smitty,

I can't recommend anything for you or help you decide but maybe staying in a Holiday Inn Express might help you decide.

Smitty,
I agree with Kurt.

I tried BFG radials and had trouble getting them to hook up. So I was not interest in looking into purchasing any type a drag radial. The first time I used ET Streets, they hooked. Tubes are optionally, but if you have problems with them leaking, then get the tubes.

Ken

Kurt, I wasn't sure that the 26x11.5x16 would fit without rubbing on a hard launch with a lowered suspension so I'm glad to know they clear Ok.
Some of the drag racing events, i.e. Sportsman ET class that I run in, do not allow full slicks. They have to be DOT rated. This year at Atlanta Dragway they did drop that requirement but not all drag strips are the same. In the FFW True Street event that I ran this past weekend did not and one of the participants had to drop out because of that and couldn't run with us. He ended up running in Quick Ford brackets instead. Do not try to drive an ET Street in the rain, you will spin out. I've driven drag radials in the rain with no problem.

You can put 11.50's on stock wheels but you won't get a full contact patch so there's no point.

It doesn't make sense, to me, why you would run an ET street anyways. Just find some 15" wheels and run an MT drag slick.
I had those and just sold them, I was tired of not being able to compete in the local street classes here and was only able to go against all out race cars because of the slicks. Not very fun that way.

It looks like I will going with the ET Streets, because even with this Automatic the 2300-2500 stall really puts a lot of torque to the tires and they break loose pretty easily, so the extra flex of the sidewall will help with that,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

See some of you in a few weeks! Dayton here I come!

Smitty

Do not try to drive an ET Street in the rain, you will spin out. I've driven drag radials in the rain with no problem.

Occasionally, I will drive to / from the track on my ET Streets. One night I got caught in a massive down pour. Instead of changing back to my street tires, I said "screw this, it's raining way too hard to change tires." I proceded on my 30 mile journey home. I knew it would be "interesting", but I had no idea how bad it would be. Needless to say, although I never spun out, that was the most white-knuckled drive I've ever made. There's one long sweeping ramp from one interstate to another that I took at no more than 30 mph and was starting to get really loose in the back.

With regards to the 26x11.50, I still think you will be better off with the 26x10.50. On my 11.50's some of the outer edges of the tread never (rarely) make contact with the pavement--really just excess weight.

Dude!

Hey , I never thought of that I'll have to see if we have one here in Clarksville, TN

Your a nut!!

See ya,
Smitty

Smitty,

I can't recommend anything for you or help you decide but maybe staying in a Holiday Inn Express might help you decide.

One other thing I've noticed in comparing the 2 types is that the ET Street will grow in diameter as you go down the track while the belted radial will not giving you higher rpm's at the finish line. If I set my shift light slightly too low or spin the tires I'll have to shift to 5th before the finish line which costs me a tenth of a sec. With the ET streets, 3:55 gears, and a 5600 shift point I hit the finish line just as my shift light comes on and I can drop it into neutral instead of beating on the 5th gear synchro.

I've been using the ET Street bias plies on a 15" LX wheel (26 x 10.5) have worked just fine for the power level I'm putting out. I run them without tubes on my AOD equipped car and have not noticed any wheel slip. We'll see what happens this year once I get my new valve body in or try them on the 5 speed car.

You can see me warming them up at the shootout as the first smokey car in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dm8HB5yBnM&mode=related&search=

I bought them used about 7 strips ago and about 90 runs so far.

If you need to drive the car to the track with them on, then go with the radials. If you want to run in the stock class at the shootout, go with the radials.

Otherwise, get the bias ply.

"You can put 11.50's on stock wheels but you won't get a full contact patch so there's no point."

Unless you get a significantly better deal on 11.5's than you do 10 or 10.5's.

Often at some of the bigger drag racing events like Fun Ford Weekend and Super Chevy Show there are vendors on the midway who sell tires and slicks at very good prices. Otherwise Jeg's is as cheap as anybody. Run it through Google for more vendors.

I've been using the ET Street bias plies on a 15" LX wheel (26 x 10.5) have worked just fine for the power level I'm putting out. I run them without tubes on my AOD equipped car and have not noticed any wheel slip. We'll see what happens this year once I get my new valve body in or try them on the 5 speed car.

You can see me warming them up at the shootout as the first smokey car in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dm8HB5yBnM&mode=related&search=

I bought them used about 7 strips ago and about 90 runs so far.

If you need to drive the car to the track with them on, then go with the radials. If you want to run in the stock class at the shootout, go with the radials.

Otherwise, get the bias ply.

so you run the 26x10.5's on the 6.5 inch wide rims??? and they fit??
SWEET!

Yeah, they fit.

Here is how they look on the wheels. They do bulge, both on the sides and at the tread. The very outer edges of the tread are not gonna be doing anything.

010_ETStreets.jpg

One of the local racers told me last weekend he puts about 4 oz of Coca-cola in his ET Streets that require tubes. He said he swishes it around to completely coat the inside of the tire. It seeps into the pores of the tire, dries out, and seals them up. He does it on both sets of ET Streets that he puts on his and his wife's racecars. It keeps them from going flat in the trailer and isn't heavy enough to mess up the balance. Both cars run in the 12's.

Updated picture thanks to Duffy Floyd at this past weekends Club Clash. My 10.5" ET Streets at 11psi on my 6.5" wide wheels. Seems to be working just fine. Notice the wrinkle benefit for the 5 speed. This is my auto car though.

Back