AC delete with 8 Rib belt, pics and part numbers inside

rzimmerl

I did lots of searching on this but came mostly up with 53 and 54 inch belts which are too short for a stock pulley setup (I am using the stock size aluminum SCI Kit). So did some playing around this weekend and heres what I came up with. These are the parts I needed after I modified the tensioner. Too bad I can't try it yet as the car is apart still waiting on my MP Pulley Kit.:rolleyes:

Dayco 89053 76MM 8 rib pulley with flange
Gates K080560 belt

I don't mean to double post this info but I had troubles after searching for about 2 hours.

Attachments

• DSC01868.JPG
    DSC01868.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,319
  • DSC01869.JPG
    DSC01869.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,188
Last edited:
awsome. i will pick those up. too bad i already bought the 6 rib belt. but i needed something quick.

Pulley was $26 and belt was $34 for the 8 rib setup.

I did a 6 rib setup on an XR7 yesterday using a Dayco 5060560 belt ($21.99) and a tensioner pulley from a 96 Tbird NA ($21.99)

Last edited:
I know I can find this elsewhere...

Is the tensioner still a tensioner?
How did you modify it?

Here is some crude paintshop edits. Make sure you bend up the tensioner tab when it is not bottomed out. Rotate it slighlty while still attached in car and bend with screwdriver.

Attachments

• DSC018781.JPG
    DSC018781.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 892
  • DSC018791.JPG
    DSC018791.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 842
  • DSC018701.JPG
    DSC018701.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 911
when i did my ac delete awhile back i bought 2 8-ribbed pulleys off a 2006 f-350 from ebay for $20 shipped. i used the extra pulley to do the delete on a friends '90sc.

Last edited:
Just thought I would add an update to this...

Using ASP underdrives and had to switch to a K080545, perfect fit.

At NAPA you can get an a/c compressor bypass pulley (aka ac compressor bracket with over-sized idler pulley) for our motors. Part # is 660-1830. Not sure if this was already known. The downside is the pulley it includes is 6-rib, so it's not 100% simple. Just another route to take....

599670.jpg

PS - unfortunately I work at a NAPA. :(

At NAPA you can get an a/c compressor bypass pulley (aka ac compressor bracket with over-sized idler pulley) for our motors. Part # is 660-1830. Not sure if this was already known. The downside is the pulley it includes is 6-rib, so it's not 100% simple. Just another route to take....

599670.jpg

PS - unfortunately I work at a NAPA. :(

You can get one from an Ford 97 Diesel that works. 8 ribs and all.

You can get one from an Ford 97 Diesel that works. 8 ribs and all.

I'm interested in doing an AC delete, but I'm a little confused... what kind of pulley from a 97 diesel? And does this pulley just mount right up with no other modifications needed?

Last edited:
Dayco 89053 76MM 8 rib pulley with flange
Gates K080560 belt

/QUOTE]

Instead of modifing the stock tensioner as mentioned in an earlier thread you can use the serpentine belt tensioner off a n/a V-6 T-bird. It has the same length and offset as the sc tensioner and it tensions the opposite direction. I removed the small dowel on the back and left the large one and let it ride in the bottom dowel hole on the bracket.Together with the mounting bolt and 1 dowel pin it'll stay in place with no slippage. I did have to slightly enlarge the dowel pin hole on the bracket since the one on the n/a tensioner was a little fatter than the stock dowel. Works great and there's plenty of tension on the belt.

Last edited:
The 8 rib pulley fits on the 6 rib NA tbird tensioner without and clearance issues? If so thats good to know, mine tensioner does tend to slide after a while needing adjustment. I should have left one of the dowels on and drilled the bracket for it. I think what I am going to do is drill the tensioner for a SHCS so that the head is in the stock location of the dowel hole in the bracket.

The 8 rib pulley fits on the 6 rib NA tbird tensioner without and clearance issues? If so thats good to know, mine tensioner does tend to slide after a while needing adjustment. I should have left one of the dowels on and drilled the bracket for it. I think what I am going to do is drill the tensioner for a SHCS so that the head is in the stock location of the dowel hole in the bracket.

I'm using a 6 rib belt so the 6 ribbed pulley on the tensioner was fine for me. Roadhawg on this forum used the same tensioner and put his 8 ribbed pulley on it, the same one you have, and said he did shim it out with a couple of washers and it works fine, tons of tension on the belt.

Just wanted to thank you guy's for posting this up.
Thought about deleting my a/c for a while but never did it. Took that part number to Nappa and 1 day later it's on my car. ]

Drew

Back