steering wheel moving on its own

x182dan

I went to start the car today with all the belts on. The wheel moved on its own all the way to the left. What could be the issue? Its on a 302 motor in a 94sc. It has the sensor on it for variable assist. Could there just be air in the system or is the valve stuck on the rack and pinion?

:eek:X...Hey so it started?
it started and within 20seconds it runs pig rich and the headers were starting to get hot so we shut her off. Started her back up a later and it wasn't as bad but if you revved it up it would pop in the exhaust. Needless to say it hasn't been timed yet and the car hasn't run long enough for the computer to learn it. You need to turn it over for a few seconds before it fires up. Oddly enough it idles pretty decent with all things considered, it needed a little adjustment on the TPS sensor but with it adjusted it seems to idle on its own.

Now with the car running the wheel is locked and I cant turn it but if the car is off I can turn it, whats up is this def. a crossed line issue? I would have thought if the lines crossed the low pressure hose would have blown off the high pressure side by now

can anyone explain to me why my wheel is locked in place now? Before when the wheel turned on its own I could force it in the opposite direction and now its locked up????????? anyone have a diagram of what line goes where on the rack?

Last edited:
Pictures I have from a 1990.

power%20steering.jpg

power%20steering%20zoom.jpg

power%20steering%20hoses.jpg

power%20steering%20at%20rack.jpg

cross%20member.jpg

Worth a try,

Air trapped in power steering system may be removed with power steering pump air evacuator assembly vacuum tester 021-0014, or equivalent.
Do not use engine vacuum to purge power steering system.
Remove reservoir cap.
Check and fill reservoir to cold fill mark with suitable fluid.
Disconnect ignition coil wire, then raise and support front wheels.
Crank engine with starter motor, then check fluid level. Do not turn steering wheel.
If fluid level has dropped, fill reservoir to cold fill mark, crank engine with starter motor while turning steering wheel lock to lock, then check fluid level.
Install air evacuator rubber stopper tightly to pump reservoir, then connect coil wire.
With engine at idle, apply 15 inch Hg maximum vacuum to pump reservoir for a minimum of three minutes , as air purges from system, vacuum will decrease, maintain adequate vacuum.
Release vacuum, then remove vacuum source, if fluid level has dropped, fill to cold fill mark.
With engine at idle, apply 15 inch Hg maximum vacuum to pump reservoir, turn steering wheel from lock to lock every 30 seconds for about five minutes. Do not hold steering wheel on stops when turning. Maintain adequate vacuum.
Release vacuum, then remove vacuum equipment. Add power steering fluid if required and install cap.
Start engine, turn steering wheel, check connections for leaks.
If severe aeration is indicated, repeat steps 7 through 13

Educated guess

Im thinking the relief valve is sticking. There is a valve under the high pressure line where it hooks in the side of the pump. Remove that line. Remove the fitting in the side of the pump. Then see if that relief valve is stuck. It is spring loaded and should be up....There is also one in the line block on the rack, but i doubt that is the problem since that one is not spring loaded.

I checked my lines look fine. After looking at it I don't think its possible to mess them up. I have another ps pump I am going to put on it and hope for the best.

I checked my lines look fine. After looking at it I don't think its possible to mess them up. I have another ps pump I am going to put on it and hope for the best.

i didnt read all of this thread so sorry if it was answered already but does your ride control light flash also when it does this....????;)

i didnt read all of this thread so sorry if it was answered already but does your ride control light flash also when it does this....????;)

my VMM is gone thus I can't tell you. How would that be anything to do with the steering anyhow?

my VMM is gone thus I can't tell you. How would that be anything to do with the steering anyhow?

well.....
mine didnt really move on its own but as i went down the free way it would jerk from left to right and ever single time this would happen my ride control light would flash...(and my ride control light is on my gauge cluster its green light that says firm ride my birdy is 92 and never had a vvm)

Last edited:
Well I changed the PS pump and all is good. So it looks like that was the problem. Only cost me a nice $60 aluminum powersteering pulley that I had on there since you can't really remove an aluminum ps pulley without breaking it off. All and all I am happy since I don't have to change the rack.

Back