intermitent stalling

erin*

1990 supercoupe quit, couldn't find a problem. after 15 minutes it started again. thought it was fuel pump, so i changed that. car ran good for a day and then quit again. same thing, after a while it started again and i was able to drive it home. pulled a "code 14". what does this indicate?

Stalling

As I recall, code 14 refers to PIP signal dropping out or intermittant. Sounds like the ignition module. Car starts and runs cold, but after it gets hot it runs poorly, stalls and wont restart for a few hours and repeats the same behavior.

A quick test you can do is watch the tach as it starts to stall. If tha tach drops to 0 right away, it's an ignition problem, if the tach continues to respond with the engine, it's generally something else.

Check the the harmonic balancer bolt and make sure that you feel the hex head of it down inside the middle of the crank pulley. When my balancer bolt broke it started that way and eventually wouldn't start or run at all. If the bolt head is broken off your harmonic balancer is broken and you'll need to replace it and the crank position sensor.

Back