ASC moon roof

scbird1

Anyone have one of these? Im having problems with mine. I think this is the one the dealer installed. Mine will only pop up now and only one button works (vent) It opens and closes it. It used to only open the vent and then you had to hit close. I tried to test the buttons but they work off a relay system or IC and I have no clue on what to replace. I know they function because the asc light turns red when any button is pushed. The motor and controls is no where to be found like on the stock units it has a motor cover. My head liner fabric is glued direct to the metal and not to any cardboard. Dose anyone have any spare parts for this?

Last edited:
I seem to have the same piece of junk in my '95 SC. I actually took it all the way out. What ended up happening to mine was (I think) the screws backed out of one side of the glass and while on the highway, it flipped open sideways. Pretty much most of mine is destroyed. The motor and the buttons are good... that's about it. The bad part is I am trying to find a suitable replacement to fill the huge hole on my roof. I am going to try and find a flip up one. Less moving parts=less headache. If there is anything on there you want, I'll send it to you.

Nate

We had a mark VIII with the same POS. We traded it in and did not keep it bacause of this hack job.
Too bad so many SC had this abortion installed.

Wow.... Was that the only reason to get rid of the Mark? Man.... Well, I love my SC, so I am going to find a way to put something else in there. The company that installed that thing did a CRAP job. Granted, I have pretty high standards when it comes to my car stuff, but this was way below acceptable. I just hope they make a manual flip up that is big enough. If not, I am going to go as far as having it put back to stock somehow... I may have to find a 'bird at the yard and cut the roof off to have the correct shape and graft it in.... Really don't want to do that, but if I have no choice.....

Nate

I seem to have the same piece of junk in my '95 SC. I actually took it all the way out. What ended up happening to mine was (I think) the screws backed out of one side of the glass and while on the highway, it flipped open sideways. Pretty much most of mine is destroyed. The motor and the buttons are good... that's about it. The bad part is I am trying to find a suitable replacement to fill the huge hole on my roof. I am going to try and find a flip up one. Less moving parts=less headache. If there is anything on there you want, I'll send it to you.

Nate

I would gladly pay you for any parts you have as I would like to try to get this thing to work. Do you use Paypal?
How does $35 shipped sound for motor any relay and switch? All I can tell you about the size of this unit is it is samller then the stock factory unit as I took a inside cover from a factory one and its about 4 inches longer and about a inch wider. Too bad we cant just use a factory one. Im sure you can find a flip up and thats what I might just do if all else fails. Removeing the headliner will wreck it so im going back to the junk yard for a cardboard one and just cut out the middle.

Last edited:
What I'll do is take a bunch of pics and post them. If they look good, we'll go head. $35 sounds fine. I'll ship them from work via fed-ex. I just want to make sure the parts are what you need.

Nate

Thanks Nate. I dont need any of the hardware just the electronics and any wiring. Im not sure what went wrong with mine but its a daily driver so I cant take it apart untill im ready to put parts back in. Thanks again, Mark

from what I've heard a lot of the fords are aftermarket sunroofs. Even the new marauders with the sunroofs are all aftermarket. Pull down you headliner and look at the hack job

I think I found the problem. There is a controller just above the drivers head with 3 plugins. It has a relay and the ic chip. I tested my motor and that is good and im sure the switch is good. What do you want for just that box?

If I have the correct box, just cover the shipping. I was just gonna toss it anyhow. I will not be able to get pics until at least this weekend. I lent my camera to someone and I won't be able to get it back until then. I will asap though.

Nate

Update

Had a few minutes today and with the help of a member here I figured out my problem with this. It turns out that the switch contacts much like a telephone buttons do. Here is where it went wrong. Its a soft metal circle under the button and it was not making good contact so I sanded
it with 600 grit paper and cleaned the board under with WD40 and cleaned any residue with a clean cloth, put it back together and shazam it all works like it did. :D

P.S. Nate if you cant find a new moonroof and need any of these parts back let me know as I just used them to test out mine. They were still worth every penny to me as my roof is working perfect now and the wife is happy for today anyway.:rolleyes:

Back