Does anyone know about replacing the modules for the ABS

T Bird

Does anyone know about replacing the modules for the ABS on the T-Bird SuperCoupe? I have a '93 SC and the Ford garage says I need an ECU module (parts only = $900), and if that doesn't work, also an HCU module (parts only= $1200), with no guarantee of either of these fixing the problem (no ABS, blinking lights). I would try another garage, but I can't find anyone, even those with some electronic know-how, to touch it. The Ford hotline gives the same half-baked guarantee as the Ford garage. Any suggestions for fix or a garage in southeastern Pennsylvania/south Jersey area that has the technical skills to work on these vehicles?
Thanks. Michele aka T Bird

I would be inclined to not believe a thing a Ford dealer mechanic told me concerning the ABS in an SC. It sounds like they are guessing and don't really have a clue. What are your exact symptoms. There are some really knowledgeable people on this site that can help you diagnos the problem.

in my 89, the ABS module is in the trunk. I'm parting the car out and still have he module for sale, but no idea if the 89 is the same as yours, I would assume so though.

Need some info...

You have a '93 SC, but I can't remember if that model has the Teves Mark II, or the Teves Mark IV ABS. If you aren't familiar with the system names, does it have an Accumulator (the steel ball under the reservoir), or does it have vacuum connections from the manifold? Since you indicated that you have "no ABS" and "blinking lights", it sounds like a Teves Mark II. If the BRAKE and ABS warning indicators on the instrument panel flash when you apply the brakes, and you get brake lock-up during a "panic stop", your accumulator is bad (only applies to the Teves M-II). You can get a replacement form Prior Remanufacturing www.priorreman.com for less than $200. You MUST follow the depressurizing process before you swap the accumulator, but this isn't a difficult repair (do a search on this site for "accumulator" and you'll find instructions). If you have questions, or need assistance, let me know.....

T-Bird, as Mike suggested, you need to detail all symptoms for an accurate diagnosis.

My 91 had no brakes at all. It was like a really bad manual braked car and the ABS light was always on. The previous owner installed new slotted rotors and pads, and a control module and gave up after Ford told him that the car was not fixable.

I bought the car for a song from a friend he sold it to as the body and interior were near mint. My buddy thought it was the accumulator as well and gave me one from a wrecked SC with the car. I though it was electronics related and tried to swap out the ABS relay under the hood first after reading some info on this site.

Guess what, the car got brakes really fast after that. About twenty seconds after I started it. I got the relay from the same buddy but it was $40 from Ford CAD new.

Exactly. The light blinks is not a good symptom. If the red light flashes when you hit the pedal it's the charge accumulator, a $100 part and 30 min install. If the amber ABS light blinks occasionally as well it's probably still the charge accumulator. If the amber is on all of the time it's something else.

The 93 has the Teves Mark IV ABS. Nowhere near the same as 89-92. I had a 93 with a similar problem. Had a local shop I trust put the code checker on the ABS and turns out that one of the relays within the ABS fluid circut was bad. Ended up buying a used part off one of the members here and had the shop replace it. Worked great until the car was totaled.

ABS '93 Woes

Hi, T-Bird here. I took your information to Ford about my ABS problems, but no reply from them yet. Sorry I haven't replied to this thread sooner, but I had to get away for the weekend. What's another weekend without my SC after 2 months already! I think I may go with a used ECU first and see if that fixes the problem. I need to look at priorreman and raybestos sites for a remanufactured or used part. Thank you to everyone who posted a reply, as I can use all the help I can get. I hate to think of giving up my T-Brid after having the engine and trany rebuilt only to cave to an electrical probem. If I were closer to Georgia, I think I would turn it over to Larry down there in Atlanta (couldn't find your posting today but remember your suggestions). When I finally resolve this problem, I will share what I have learned. Thanks again to everyone. Wish me luck!!! Michele

P.S. This is my 3rd T-Bird. My husband totaled my first, an '88 5.0, bought off the showroom floor. The 2nd was a 35th Anniversary in mint condition that I showed for a while only to have some fool T-bone my driver's side door running a red light at an estimated 45 to 48 miles an hour. Hoping that the 3rd time's the charm?!

Michele,
Don't look to the expensive parts first. Look at the cheap odds and ends like the relay I suggested.

The previous owner of my 91 let it go for next to nothing because Ford told him the car was not fixable. I fixed it in 10 min by swapping out a $40 relay with a new one.

Back