Very pleased with my Boost Cooler in competition but wondered about something.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
Well, the Boost Cooler certainly proved its worth in hot lapping. In the True Street event Saturday, if I hadn't bogged it slightly on my 2nd pass, lost a tenth, and run a 13.22 I'd run 3 13.11-2's in a row back to back to back. That's my best so far in this event and the consistency I've been seeking. I don't need no stinkin' AOD!:D Anyway, I thought I should have run a bit quicker but my car just doesn't seem to like high humidity and low barometric pressure.:rolleyes: So, that got me thinking again about diluting the methanol with hydrogen peroxide to up the oxygen content a tad and improve performance. Chemistry was not my strong point in school so what seems logical to me may not work at all. What do you guys think?

Mike, is this the snow kit? What mix are you running in it now?? Water & wiper fluid?

Wish I could remember what David said he was using. I think he said he was mixing water with Heat (when he could get it).

Ira

Every car runs worse with higher humidity and lower barometers. The barometer takes in affect the atmosperic pressure. The higher the number, the more oxygen that gets into the cylinder.

Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) is a catalase that extinguishes burning hydrocarbons. You need a hydrocarbon that has an oxygen molecule attached to it.

For example, CH3NO2 (NitroMethane) has bonded Carbon and Hydrogen molecules, aka a "HydroCarbon", with Oxygen molecules.

It is the Snow kit I bought from Dave. Right now I'm running windshield washer fluid with Heet added to it to increase the alcohol content. When this is used up I'm going to buy straight methanol at the track, $4/gal, and dilute it 50/50. That's where I came up with the hydrogen peroxide idea. When it sprays the unstable hydrogen peroxide will lose the extra oxygen atom and turn into water. The free oxygen atoms would combine into O2 by the time it was all burned in the cylinders or so was the thought.

I'm using the 20 below washer fluid with 3 bottles of heat for each gallon of washer fluid....I think it ends up being roughly 50/50 water/methanol. A small shot of nitrous would be the easiest way to make more power when temps and humidity are high.

David

I have used a little of everything in my Snow kit with mixed results, so I would say be careful with what you use. I started like most others with a 50/50 mix of methanol and water, methanol/water/110 octane fuel, 110 octane fuel, methanol/nitromethane, and most recently straight nitromethane. The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to be able to monitor A/F so you don't lose power or destroy your engine, with Nitromethane you will definately be more lean so be careful.

Charles

I have used a little of everything in my Snow kit with mixed results, so I would say be careful with what you use. I started like most others with a 50/50 mix of methanol and water, methanol/water/110 octane fuel, 110 octane fuel, methanol/nitromethane, and most recently straight nitromethane. The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to be able to monitor A/F so you don't lose power or destroy your engine, with Nitromethane you will definately be more lean so be careful.

Charles

Tell me more about how the nitromethane worked out. I see Snow sells a small bottle of it and claims more horsepower. Did you use their nitro or get some from a hobby shop? What type of mix level?

Tell me more about how the nitromethane worked out. I see Snow sells a small bottle of it and claims more horsepower. Did you use their nitro or get some from a hobby shop? What type of mix level?

Mark I have basicly been using the Snow kit for some time as a crutch to replace proper tuning. This is how I was able to get my 95 to run a 13.07 with stock injectors, I simply injected straight 110 octane fuel to supply the fuel that the maxed out injectors were unable to provide and now that it is running rich because of the need for un update to my tune since installing heads and cam I used straight Nitro to help lean it out. I have used the stuff that Snow sells and it works ok mixed per there recomendations but is a bit pricey. I also have used the stuff from a hobby shop with good results, in fact the last time I dynoed the car it picked up about 35 hp with the only change being the use of hobby shop fuel. The only thing about using Nitro, or Methanol without the water mixed is that it is very flamable so you need to make sure you do not have any leaks.

Charles

Back