Walbro Fuel pump Questions

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Does anyone know what the Walbro part number on the 255lph , forced-induction pumps is? I've been able to find a couple of places that have the pumps, but they use their own part numbers. On an old post on this topic, it was said that the number was GSS 340 - but the forced induction one may be a GSS 342? I'm a bit confused.

Also, has anyone bought the 255lph "hi-po" on eBay? I know just about everyone has seen it... If you have bought it and used it, any problems? I've talked to Victor a little bit about it, and I'm leaning toward paying a little extra for a pump that would be likely more dependable (Walbro instead of off-brand)

thanks for any input!

There are some new pump manufacturers that are large into the in tanks. CAM products being one. Don't know much about them but don't see a lot of complaints.

Someone would have to do a head to head to know if there is any diff.

There is a standard 255 lph pump and a 255 lph hp which has a stiffer relief spring. The high pressure version does not let pressure drop off after 70 psi like the normal 255 lph pump.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fpspecs.html

Not sure of the differences in the various GSS pumps. Probably dimension and orientation of the inlet. Put a 340 in my bro's car.

Do you know if your brother's was advertised as being a "high pressure 255lph" fuel pump? I guess if someone could tell me that for sure, then I'd have even information to continue my shopping. Thanks dude :cool:

Fish,

Any of the GSS340, GSS341, GSS342 are advertised as HP or high pressure.

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/walbro/

They describe the difference to application having to do with dimension and or inlet.

The GSS340 I bought was a direct fit for the pump with the body being slightly different but as it was a kit for an 89-93 Mustang, the filter and hose were wrong.

Thanks, that's the info I was having trouble locating. I spent an hour looking for a place that used Walbro part numbers and explained what the difference was between them :rolleyes:

Thank you Flex, I'll now be on my way....

Any time if I can help.

I have spent the same frustrating hours trying to figure this out. Largely due to the fact that Walbro's website absolutely SUCKS. You can't even find a section for their in tank pumps.

I haven't been able to find the exact number for the install kit either. I have found a company called APE that has a picture of what appears to be a Thunderbird install kit but it does not have a Walbro number to it but their own. As of yet, I have not gotten a response as to whether it is correct for our apps.

I'm in the market as well, and was also wondering about that e-bay pump. I had the guy send me a "flowchart" to see the volumes at pressure, but it doesn't make a bunch of sense to me.
Kurt

Attachments

• flowtest.jpg
    flowtest.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 154
Well, according to that flow sheet, that pump flows better than the "Typical 255lph High Pressure Pump" shown on the charts on automotiveperformanceengineeringblahblahblah.com. They sell the Walbro model there. I don't know though. I bought an electric fan off eBay that claimed pretty good air displacement (compared to the popular permacool models), but when I tested the two fans - eBay versus Permacool - the Permacool felt alot stronger and felt like it displaced maybe twice as much air! Ontop of that, the eBay one was heavier (implying a bigger motor)!!!

At any rate, when it comes to electric motors, such as a fuel pump, I'm not so sure to believe their claims...the actual test chart doesn't hurt, but I just don't know. Maybe that extra .3 volts (under their test conditions) made the difference. THEN there's reliablity! :confused:

If I was to play devil's advocate, I would have to say that there is nothing saying who's pump that is. No make or model number just that they tested "a pump".

So I have to ask why the lack of specifics if you are trying to prove a point.

i just ordered a 255 a couple weeks ago... got it for $115 shipped... just installed it last night and i have no complaints... i replaced my old pump becuase it was singing to me... ahh peace and quiet

If I was to play devil's advocate, I would have to say that there is nothing saying who's pump that is. No make or model number just that they tested "a pump".

So I have to ask why the lack of specifics if you are trying to prove a point.

Whacho talking about Flex? :confused:

I know they didn't say what pump they tested, but just labeled it as 'typical'... so really, the only thing that the chart is good for is getting an idea what a '255lph HP pump' might do for you. My point was that the flow chart shows that the specific pump that was tested should perform better than average, or typical. What I'm not sure about is whether pump X will last as long as a Walbro one. For all we know, the Walbro may even flow and hold pressure better than the 'typical' chart pump! :rolleyes:

I'd sure like to see a flow\pressure test at a few different supply voltages on a Walbro pump...this 'typical' stuff isn't much good for a comparison between two pumps...like you said! :D ;)

i just ordered a 255 a couple weeks ago... got it for $115 shipped... just installed it last night and i have no complaints... i replaced my old pump becuase it was singing to me... ahh peace and quiet

nicely put! :)

My old stock fuel pump always worked fine, but that turd was loud! I replaced it with a 190lph Walbro when I did the exhaust on the car, and I don't even hear that one run...maybe that's because of the exhaust though :eek:

I am going to hold out for an HP myself. Car is apart right now so I am in no hurry.

I have so far picked up a new 95 blower and inlet, Edelbrock/BBK 75 mm, 80 mm C&L, 42 lb injectors, MP 3.5" cold air, Paul Gearhart's old Fast Freddy top which I hogged out big time, and I have a set of Mustang shorty headers for the car.

Looks like you'll have a similar setup to my future set up. And likewise, mine will all be put on at once, when the car is apart. :rolleyes: :D

The 255 FI pump I have is a Walbro GSS340. It states right on the label rated for 255LPH at 43.5 psi. Plan ahead, if you think you will be needing larger injectors down the road, do the pump once. I just installed the 255 regular last year, now upgrading due to injectors. Its such a pain pay the extra $20 its worth it

Last edited:
Back