Head Gasket costs?

Shop costs - $1100 - $1800

Do it yourself with the help of the forums - $300 - $500 for a general repair

Depending on what you change replace or upgrade while there it can get into the upper figures too...just depends on the SC Bug and when it bites. :D

-Tim

While we are on this topic... what level of skill does someone need "under the hood" to be able to change the head gaskets? I personally have very little engine skills, but do you think it could be done with the manual and the forums? Just curious...

While we are on this topic... what level of skill does someone need "under the hood" to be able to change the head gaskets? I personally have very little engine skills, but do you think it could be done with the manual and the forums? Just curious...

You need to be fairly skilled. And, you'll need a lot of tools. Alot. Some of which are specialized. And, it's a huge help to have the FSM. Also, you need to be patient, and creative. And not rush. Don't plan on doing this job over a weekend on a car that needs to get you to work on Monday. I'm sure some have done it that way, but it would be brutal.

I'm pretty handy, and have ALL the tools (and manuals), and I spent a week on mine working pretty steadily. But, I replaced a bunch of parts that weren't related directly to the H/G job "since I was there". Things like motor mounts, plugs, wires, belts, idlers, O2 sensors, and lots of other things. And, I had about $850 in the project with all the ancillary parts I bought. But, it turned out great. And I spent some time detailing along the way, which absorbs considerable time.

If you don't have full confidence in your abilities to pull the job off, take it somewhere. That's better than taking in a half-done basket case to be sorted out. But, if you decide to "go for it", keep your typing fingers in good shape, and search here, and ask questions. You won't be the first to go through this!

JD

big thing is to get past the initimidation factor. Id give it a week for the inexperienced, just because you'll want to walk away from it and get cocked a half dozen times in between.
Once you've done it once it;s not so bad.

I think two weekends, at least that's what it took me. Special tools are not all that necessary. Metric open end wrenches (get the ratcheting ones, they are worth it) and 3/8" and 1/2" sockets. A set of standard sockets as well as a few bolts are actually standard.

You need to pull the blower/plenum, the intake manifold, the valve covers, then the heads. You'll have to get the exhaust manifolds off there and there are some hoses you need to take off.

You do need to be familiar with working with tools and removing and installing bolts. Understand marking wires and hoses, as well as understanding how to torque things as well as what it feels like when something is tight, or binding.

I wouldn't have this be the first project I ever took on with a car. But it's not much harder than a water pump, you just have to take more stuff off.

i just wanna say if you can get the blower off then after that its like pie... its just like workin on any other car( well kind of) but once the blowers out of the way and the ic tubes you should be fine long as you have the tools and know a decent amount about cars...

but if its your first time and your not sure you should get a book cuz most of the stuff needs to be torqued down...

Specialized tools are:

- I/C nut spanner wrench. This is the RIGHT tool. I know, some guys use channel locks, strap wrenches, etc.

- PS pulley removal/installation set. Harbour Freight - about $20.

- Sensor removal socket. For pulling O2 sensors, if you change those (recommended). Available at any parts store.

You need a wide variety of deep and shallow sockets, extensions, U-joints, wobble extensions, etc. to make it easier. Again, I'll reitereate the need for good manuals. Not the Haynes or Chilton rags.

You can tear it down and slam it back in a few days, but if you do any additional "side jobs" or detailing, it'll take longer. At a minimum, you'll want to do motor mounts, O2 sensors, and plugs and wires.

You CAN do it, but take your time, and get the tools. You DON'T want to have to do it twice.

JD

You don't need a spanner wrench since you can unbolt the 4 bolts for the top and remove the tube as one. You'll need a power steering pulley puller but you can rent them for free from autozone. Just get a helper with some mechanical ability and take lots of digital pics before you tear down. Put your bolts and nuts in ziploc bags and label them. It's not that hard really. mine costed about $500 doing it myself. That's with a 3 angle valve job and the heads cleaned and resurfaced at an engine shop. If you feel froggy you can use a dremel and gasket match your intake manifold and smooth out rough edges in the intake tract.

Bah, never have owned a spanner wrench, probably never will.

O2 socket? Open end wrench and cheater bar.

P/S puller? I don't call that special. If you work on a car, you should have that. It's not a ford exclusive thing, same thing on many GM pumps.

But I can see where you're coming from.

well

i dont see the need for a p/s puller. im in the middle of my head job and just took the assembly and set it to the side with out removing the pulley, ill probably wind up pulling it b/c i need to replace the pump. otherwise i dont see the need for a puller

To Each His Own...

I just like having the "right" tools, and hate to make do. My years of experience have taught me that ample tools make the job much easier, and more fun. Of course, this just a hobby for me, and I've spent thousands on tools just to have the right stuff. I'm pretty sure I could tear the whole car down with a screwdriver and a crecent wrench if I had enough time, but it wouldn't be fun.

JD

Back