Trans filling

garsc

I have a 5 spd and was wondering if the trans can be filled thru the shifter hole. I want to drain the old fluid and install synthetic ATF when I replace the shifter. It should be a lot easier to fill the trans from up top rather than down under the car.

Yes you can add it that way. Just pour slowly and make sure it drains into the trans. It is an easier alternative than pumping it through from underneath. Just make sure you don't put in too much.

yep thats the best way to do it, done it like that in the 5.0 mustangs and its a helluva lot easier than crawling underneath.. enjoy

That's Too Much Trouble

There is a MUCH easier way to add fluid to the M5R2. Here's what I did:

Dig out, or go buy a transmission funnel. Then, go to Home Depot and buy a few feet of clear Tygon tubing that will press snugly onto the end of the funnel.

- Put your car on ramps (or equiv) and drain the transmission as usual.
- Remove the fill plug.
- Thread an appropriate amount of Tygon tubing down past the master cylinder area in the engine compartment, and push the end into the transmission fill hole. Make sure you use gentle radii, and you don't have any kinks in the tubing.
- Cut the tubing, and press the trans funnel onto the upper end.
- Fill your transmission.
- Done.

This prevents dumping ATF inside your car. Also, for those not removing the shifter already, it avoids that whole mess.

JD

Back