Hit a major snag w/ Cobra brake conversion? HELP!

Mercury267

I am sitting in the shop right now, Saturday April 21st at 6:30pm. I swapped the wheel hubs to SN95 front hubs and got the 13" 2001 Cobra rotor on, and then I am ready to install the caliper (also 2001 Cobra/PBR caliper and bracket), and I can not figure out how the crap the caliper mounts to the bracket. There are no mounting points for the caliper on the caliper brackets and I am not sure how the brake pads fit in the whole set up... something is not right here.

Can anyone post a fast tip or even call me on my cell?!?!? 443-848-1771

Thanks,
~Mercy

the calipers just slide in on the bracket, and are held in place by a pin that has a snap ring on one end...

you have to install the calipers with brake pads installed at an angle so they can slide into the bracket and the pin goes on after they have sat well on the bracket...

^^ he nailed it they just have pins that hold them on.. I personally would have designed them differently but thats ford for you.

Anyone have any "how too's"? I have been looking at this bracket an caliper for an hour and "just sliding it on" doesn't make any sense. Anyone have any pics for my McDonald's menu ordering mind?

look at the front part of the bracket, you see how it matches the brake pad? you slide the caliper with the brake pads already mounted on that side first, than you just sit it in place, and press the pin in... its like a damn puzzle! you have to slide the caliper with the brake pads already mounted on!

Everyone - THANKS SO MUCH! I have received tech pics and exploded views. I was able to determine something was seriously wrong. The problem... the brake pads. The ones I had received were not correct. Even though they were listed as 2001 Cobra pads, they were not it at all. I had to return the ones I ordered, and reorder another set. I went with OE this time instead of the "performance ceramic" pads.

I am in hopes that this should get me back on track. The other item needed is the front banjo bolt for the brake line block that bolts to the caliper. Ford did me the favor of not using the same bolt on the mustang calipers as the Thunderbird calipers, and they did not supply a banjo bolt with the new calipers. Maybe they would come with their brake lines, but obviously I replaced my brake lines with OE thunderbird.

As the weekend has ended I was able to get the wheels bolted on, BUT there are no working brakes as a result of no front banjo bolts or pads.

Nonetheless, the wheels looks great on the car and the 13" rotor was highly visable behind the 17" fanblade wheels which I did not think would be the case.

The rear calipers felt a little tight going on and the grinding seemed to be a little more than just a little to get the caliper relocation brackets mounted... as usual screwing the piston back into the rear caliper proved to be a difficult task as always.

All in all, everyone helped a bunch with the posts, phone calls and emails.

Thanks again, and I should be back on the road by next weekend since I will not have the chance to work on it during this week.

Back