Pilot Bearing Options

Mike8675309

Well I pulled the old pilot bearing out and was about to put the new one in , when low and behold, the one in my kit from Spec is .828mm in diameter, but the hole in my crank is .935mm in diameter.

Now when I go looking for a proper replacement I see much larger dimensions because it seems they are replacing more than just the bearing:
BCA_FC-65174_ANG.JPG

Getting that inserted piece out of the crankshaft doesn't look easy either as I'm guessing it's pressed in.

Anyone have a number for just the bearing? Here is what the one that I took out, and the spec one looks like. The spec one is just smaller.
pilotbearing.jpg

Both pieces should be replaced. That's how they come from 99% of suppliers. How did you pull out the inner bearing? A slide hammer will work for the outer part.

I used a Timken Pilot Bearing - Part # FC65174

The bearing is used on 94/95 and a Bushing is used on 89-93's .. some people prefer the Bushing over the bearing.

I was able to hammer mine in place with a 1" socket after coating the inside of the crankshaft bore with long life grease ..

- Dan

I suggest finding a place that has a good selection and find the brass bushing the right size to replace it. this is one condition where brass is much better. Bearings fail, bushings do not.
Alan

My stocker 93 had a needle bearing in there. I tried a slide hammer to get it out but it just bent the end of the hook I had. I ended up using a cold chisel to break the bearing cage and extract it.

I don't have a hone to hone a brass bushing to the right ID, assuming I could find the correct OD.

When I had pulled the motor a few years ago, the bearing still looked good. Hmm, something to do the next few nights.

I'm pretty sure when I've done the pilot bearings in my cars it came out looking like the first picture you posted. I always assumed the "slot" visible on the back of the assembly in the first picture was for the legs of a slide hammer to engage. I have also been down the cold chisel extraction path so I can relate.

The slots on the sides are indeed for the special Ford Pilot bearing removal tool to engage.

- Dan

I get hell for this all the time but I bought the cheap pilot bearing remover tool from the AZ and it works like a charm. Probably pulled 20 bearings without a mark on it.

Anyway, all SC's had bearings which are available just about anywhere. If you get a whole bearing and sleeve that's good, if you get just a bearing and press it into the stock sleeve that's fine too. I just use a vice to press it in. Make sure to properly grease the bearing. Sometimes they'll come dry. Just use a big socket for installation.

Cranks in the block, so a vise is out of the question. Spec says that's a turbo coupe bearing that I got, and I shouldn't have received any bearing in the box. They don't ship bearings for the SC kits.

Gonna pickup a SKF bearing from NAPA on the way home and then pull out the bushing. I'll give the slide hammer another shot. The hole is bigger with the bearing gone so maybe one of the beefer attachments will work.

I did have to order another set of clutch bolts from Spec. Seems I lost the two that held the clutch to the flywheel when they shipped it. My garage is a cluster, and it doesn't help that i got the clutch and flywheel in January of 2005.

Thanks folks.

Wohoo, Harbor Freight had it on the shelf.
04876.gif

Rest of the bearing is on the garage floor as I type. Now I can move forward as soon as my clutch bolts show up from spec. (I lost 2 of them )

Back