Interior Questions...

SuperC90

I recently purchased my first SC, it's a 90, and a 5 speed. The Drivers seat seems to have less support on the right hand side as compared to the left (when sitting in it). I'm wondering is the SC interior a SC only option, or when I start parusing through my local salvage yards will I find those seats in maybe a regular Thunderbird? Also, what other years would the 90 cloth seats be found in?

The Ford Taurus SHO has the same seat in it. I believe that's the only one besides the SC. Check the FAQ form the home page here. There may have been an entry for that.

Not overly expensive, most automotive trim places can put new padding in the seats for reasonable prices if you bring the seat in.

If you want something identical to what you have it will need to come out of an '89-'90 SC. The '91-'93 SC cloth seats are actually cloth and leather and they look different. The '94-'95 SC cloth/leather seats look even different. They changed the bolster size sometime around '91-'92. I can't say for sure as my '91 has the smaller bolsters but I have seen some with the larger ('89-'90) size bolsters. I guess it is possible my '91 seats could have been swapped for a newer pair in better condition but I am not sure.

Mike8675309 said:
The Ford Taurus SHO has the same seat in it. I believe that's the only one besides the SC. Check the FAQ form the home page here. There may have been an entry for that.

Not overly expensive, most automotive trim places can put new padding in the seats for reasonable prices if you bring the seat in.

Wrong. the SHO seat will not lean foreward. otherwise they are the same. you can use bolsters/pads from the SHO seat. SHO's are even rarer than SCs.
Gen I SC seats are like 89-91 SHOs, Gen II SC seats are like 92-95 SC seats. Not sure what Gen III SHO seats are like. I don't quote SC years because it is all a bunch of mis-matching. it seems some SCs as early as 90 got gen II seats, and SCs as late as 94 got Gen I seats. This cause serious problems for the leatherseats.com GP.

putting in padding is EASY. the seat comes out with four bolts, the seat back comes off the seat bottom with two bolts. the seat bottom comes off the seat frame with four bolts.

Last edited:
Is it a broken bolt/stud, in the floor? If it is, drill, 7/32 then 1/4, then tap in 5/16-18, worked on my '95, when I broke one on each side!

since this is a seat topic, and this isn't a SUPER major thing for now, since I want earlier seats anyhow, my 95 I pulled up the release one day to recline, and when I tried to pull it back up to the normal position, the seat won't go, any ideas?? if nothing else can I gut a regular t-bird seat for the release lever??

It's not any of the bolts in the floor, I checked those. It is as if a really large person (maybe3-350 lbs) had sat in the car for the first 70K. The kid I got the car from said he just dealt with it...
Anyhow, If I hold the seat back in both of my hands above the bolster (I think that's the side support, am I right?) and push back the seatback has much less resistance on the side nearest to the console. Is there something under the seatcover for the seat-back that could have come loose, or broken?

Back