94 SC Runs Hot - Suggestions

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
The 94 SC I just picked up seems to want to run constantly on the M on the NORM reading on the temp guage. It's even went to creep just past the M which isn't something I'm used to for I run the 180 degree T-Stats in all my other SCs...not sure how much of a difference 13 degrees is, but still this is warmer than I like.

My Question is this: Everytime I turn the A/C I know it kicks the fan on...I do this to help cool the motor, this is controled by the computer right? Now the Coolant Temp Sensor controls the fan relay kicking on based on the temp correct? Then the actual reading for the guage in the car comes from the sensor on the T-Stat Housing...Correct?

I have the weekend off I plan to put a new T-Stat in the car and also a new Temp Sensor...this should cover me I hope. Motor in the car has only 40K so I don't think it's anything more than a sensor not engaging.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

-Tim

The 94 SC I just picked up seems to want to run constantly on the M on the NORM reading on the temp guage. It's even went to creep just past the M which isn't something I'm used to for I run the 180 degree T-Stats in all my other SCs...not sure how much of a difference 13 degrees is, but still this is warmer than I like.

My Question is this: Everytime I turn the A/C I know it kicks the fan on...I do this to help cool the motor, this is controled by the computer right? Now the Coolant Temp Sensor controls the fan relay kicking on based on the temp correct? Then the actual reading for the guage in the car comes from the sensor on the T-Stat Housing...Correct?

I have the weekend off I plan to put a new T-Stat in the car and also a new Temp Sensor...this should cover me I hope. Motor in the car has only 40K so I don't think it's anything more than a sensor not engaging.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

-Tim

When you say new sensor, I hope you mean an AutoMeter aftermarket coolant sensor. If it still reads hot, try some purple ice or water wetter.

When you say new sensor, I hope you mean an AutoMeter aftermarket coolant sensor. If it still reads hot, try some purple ice or water wetter.

That is the sensor I will be using yes.

I actually just did a coolant flush prior to my trip to Michigan last weekend so I may add the water wetter or Purple Ice if I don't reuse my fluids.

Am I correct on the functions of the sensors though...I know the SC motor like a map so I beelive I am, just want to make sure I'm on the right path for getting this corrected.

-Tim

Am I correct on the functions of the sensors though...I know the SC motor like a map so I beelive I am, just want to make sure I'm on the right path for getting this corrected.

-Tim

I believe the sensor on the pasenger side heater hose is for fan. I know the sensor on the water outlet housing is for the temp gauge in the cabin.

I believe the sensor on the pasenger side heater hose is for fan. I know the sensor on the water outlet housing is for the temp gauge in the cabin.

Good Deal that is what I was thinking.

Also is it common for the 94-95's to run hotter than the 89-93s...

-Tim

Mine runs right at the M also and once it goes a hair past the Fan kicks on. Which I didnt like since I live in South Texas so I got a Perma cool fan that runs 2950cfm and added a Adjustable Wiring Kit so that I could get it to turn on earlier. also did the waterwetter thing and havnt had any problems.

my 94 sc ran about the M in Norm. The temp sensor is near the thermostat housing with one wiring going to it. If you want the car to run cooler for free then go to the IRCM and cut the wire(not sure which one, but a search will find it) and your low speed fan will run whenever the car is running and the high speed fan will come on like normal. That cooled my car down a lot.

My 94 usually stays around the M...I let it idle a bit after a drive and watched the fan... The fan did not come on at all until the M... But im not one to talk, the M drives me insane also...

my 95 basically will stay below the "n" obviously its just a dummy gauge anyhow, i only have a ic fan that comes on during key on..thats it as far as cooling system. My motor is also low mileage at around 65k.
I wouldn't worry much, most of our cars run around that area...its typical, there could be air pockets still in the system also.

Thanks for the replies on the temp reading. My 93 runs on the N at all times and the highest I've EVER seen it rise is the R...this M thing had me sort of sick to my stomach.

Again thanks, I will still change the above just to give me peace of mind, can't have the Daily Driver causing me lack of sleep. Have to Change Plugs this weekend any how so what's a few more odds and ends.

-Tim

Back