PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower expectations ?

T-bird Tim
04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I have a 92 5-speed SC. I recently added a 76mm MAFS, 3.5 CAI and 75mm T-body. Am going to add magna flow exhaust tomorrow. The set up will be:
2.25" down tubes, no cats, 2.5" inch into magna flow resonator into 3" pipe, splitting in the rear to two 2.5" pipes into magna flow mufflers. With just these upgrades can anyone give me a realistic horsepower gain? I noticed a seat-of-the pants feel right away from just the intake mods so I would expect even more from the exhaust upgrade. Thanks

SRT-4
04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
230 Hp / 320 Tq

x182dan
04-24-2007, 08:05 PM
230 Hp / 320 Tq

ya thats believeable but at the motor not at the wheels

T-bird Tim
04-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Seems like alot of money for 20HP. I guess all the claims of bolting on 20 hp for intake and 20 more for exhaust are just b.s. I'm still going to do it though. You can never have enough horse power. I guess I wont see any real results until I upgrade the blower and change gears. At least the head gaskets should be safe after opening the exhaust up.

SRT-4
04-24-2007, 08:32 PM
ya thats believeable but at the motor not at the wheels

Ok..........189/280

SRT-4
04-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Seems like alot of money for 20HP. I guess all the claims of bolting on 20 hp for intake and 20 more for exhaust are just b.s. I'm still going to do it though. You can never have enough horse power. I guess I wont see any real results until I upgrade the blower and change gears. At least the head gaskets should be safe after opening the exhaust up.

You could spray it

T-bird Tim
04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
I think I'll look at some underdrives also. If I could find someone selling an MP3 I would jump all over it.

V8Supercoupe
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Hmmm. I got a Mag III. Haven't decided if I want to let it go yet though....

T-bird Tim
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
If you do, let me know.

Rob91
04-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Overdrive the blower by 5 or 10%. This will give you a significant gain in hp:D

David Neibert
04-25-2007, 08:37 AM
I guess all the claims of bolting on 20 hp for intake and 20 more for exhaust are just b.s.

Yes...they are BS. Big power comes from heads, cam and blower upgrades.

David

mywhite89
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
My buddy mixed nitro-methane through a tank of gas in his 89 5-speed once. Picked his car up 20rwhp and 20rwtq. His car has exhaust, cai, and a 73mm maf and it made 230rwhp and 330ft/lbs that day if I remember correctly.

His car makes about the same rwhp and torque as a stock SC makes at the flywheel with just those few mods.

ScrapSC
04-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I did a set of heads for my cousin and it helped his car out a bunch. He has the stock Throttle Body with a 73mm C&L, 42lb injectors, coated rotors in the early style Eaton, Double IC, w/ a 5speed, and stock cam. He put down 228 to 230 at the rear wheels on the last dyno run. I am thinking it was a Dynomax????? The valves in the heads are stock just unshrouded with a bunch of work I did on the exhaust side. I did work on the intake side but just some mild stuff for now.

Ira R.
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes...they are BS. Big power comes from heads, cam and blower upgrades.

David

David is, as usual, right on the money here. Power comes from increasing air flow. The usual bolt-ons are there to support that. Heads and a cam are where your bang for the buck is. The expensive blower can even wait. There are enough cars out there still using the stock M90 making lots of horsepower.

Ira

wauseonbird
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
You could spray it

if u spray it. go with ZEX not NOS. and your MAF....nice waste of money

Micahdogg
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
"and your MAF....nice waste of money"

Maybe he should have bought some "4.6 High Performance" badges?

T-bird Tim
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I didnt get that either. Anyway, I think I may be getting the MP3 soon. I'm sure that will help. I will probably buy most of the parts used to save some money but it will come along eventually. What do yall think? 50lbers with a 255 should handle the fuel needs. Ive already got the dream sheet worked out, just need to convince the wife that I need the parts or the car wont run right!

Merlon
06-17-2007, 12:17 PM
it had a stock sc, dynoed at 190hp/278tq.

with bills 5% pulley on the sc
another 5% on the j/s
3" intake and bigger mafs(75mm?) and TB(75mm?)
new flowmaster catback
stock i/c with a fan

the car put out around 230hp/338tq

all this on 180K motor

also i am pretty sure that the stock injectors can handle up to 240 hp depending on the duty cycle, and if its a 90sc, probably up to 380 with 36lb injectors

thunderkid84
06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
also i am pretty sure that the stock injectors can handle up to 280 hp

at the wheels ??

Merlon
06-17-2007, 12:24 PM
at the wheels ??

there are a few equations ive seen . im going on the one in the magazine.

whats our duty cylce? BSFC..these things change that number. and how big are the injectors in your sc? mines are 30. mines a top of 240hp...dont know if its flywheel or not. if you have 36 then its 288

and apparently 50s should be good till 400hp

use this website, and see what you come out with
http://www.injector.com/injectorselection.php

wauseonbird
06-17-2007, 12:26 PM
"and your MAF....nice waste of money"

Maybe he should have bought some "4.6 High Performance" badges?

they make it look better, it lets people know whats in it, it gives it a lil bit of a mustang feel to it...and they were only 20 bucks!

T-bird Tim
06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Added a MP inlet plenum and MP2 blower with 10% pulley. Made a very noticable difference. Injectors, fuel pump and gears are next.

XR7 Dave
06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Added a MP inlet plenum and MP2 blower with 10% pulley. Made a very noticable difference. Injectors, fuel pump and gears are next. You are badly out of injectors after 4000rpm. Keep that in mind.

T-bird Tim
06-17-2007, 11:05 PM
You sell me those 42s and MAFS and it should be fine right?

XR7 Dave
06-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I know this doesn't have much to do with your car Tim but it does have to do with HP expectations so I thought I'd share.

Mods:

S-ported early style blower. Magnum Powers used to offer this service but I don't see it on their site anymore. It was $290 so I'll use that as a reference.

GTP rotors - $140 used

Ported early style plenum. Nothing fancy here, just a port match to the blower and 75MM TB. - $0

Home made raised top - $150

Professional Products 75MM TB - $135.

Ported 70MM OE Ford MAF - $0

ASP UD pulleys - $200

MP 15% OD kit - $345

SCU stealth cam kit - $275

SCT chip and tune - $350

Mcleod Aluminum flywheel - $400

Ported stock exhaust manifolds - $0

2.25" downpipes with cats, magnaflow resonator, and Dynomax cat-back (almost stock sounding). - $750

36lb injectors - $100 used

255lph fuel pump - $120

Total spent - $3255

Result: it makes 250rwhp at 13.5psi maxing out the injectors at 4800rpm. As you can see from the dyno chart it continues to make power smoothly to 5300rpm and beyond where they stopped the pull. Run #3 is the lower HP run but as you can see, it was 100 deg out that day and they did 3 pulls in the space of exactly 2 minutes and 4 seconds with no fan of any kind so the stock IC just couldn't keep up. I won't speculate on how much HP it puts out on a cool day but maybe I'll get a dyno pull done some time to find out (after we put in the 42's). :)

It will put the car sideways at 20-30mph and it drives like an absolutely stock SC. If my wife would let me race it I think it would run low 13's with ease. This is the kind of thing most SC'ers should be going for. Forget the 350-400rwhp dream until you've enjoyed an SC at this level for awhile. Driving an SC that runs like this one will make you appreciate the car in ways you just won't if you keep modding the heck out of it looking for that last ounce of HP.

The motor in this car is internally stock except for the cam, and the heads have never been off the motor. I will be upgrading injectors to 42's so we can keep duty cycle below 80% but beyond that there are no more mods planned for this car. It's just way too much fun to drive as is and the beautiful thing is we're not afraid to drive it anywhere at a moment's notice or put it on a dyno at any time. :D

XR7 Dave
06-17-2007, 11:52 PM
You sell me those 42s and MAFS and it should be fine right?

Yes, if you want to get that kit off me that is for sale it would work perfect for you.

Micahdogg
06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Don't forget to mention that BIG Apex FMIC too Dave.....oh yeah, I saw it. You must have some REALLY stealth tubing :)

For the record, Doug made 253RWHP/357T back in 2000 with a S model, 5% pulley, ASP underdrives, 3/4" Raised Top, ZR Intake, Pro M 75mm MAF, BBK 70mm TB, MN12 Performance Exhaust, 255lph F/I fuel pump, 36# injectors, 28lb flywheel and carbon fiber driveshaft. This was in 90 degree heat too. At this level, no weight reductions it ran a 13.82 @ 98.8 with 255 50 BFG drags (and a 1.88 short time). I don't recall it having any tune whatsoever.

ricardoa1
06-18-2007, 11:01 AM
It will put the car sideways at 20-30mph and it drives like an absolutely stock SC. If my wife would let me race it I think it would run low 13's with ease. This is the kind of thing most SC'ers should be going for. Forget the 350-400rwhp dream until you've enjoyed an SC at this level for awhile. Driving an SC that runs like this one will make you appreciate the car in ways you just won't if you keep modding the heck out of it looking for that last ounce of HP.

:D

Yeah, It feels great till you line up to one of these new performance vehicles from today and leaves you in the dust.
Gotta keep up with the times, thats why I do it, otherwise the bird feels slow and dated, I want to go as far as to say boring. But being able to drive it often has its benefits and I agree with you there.

XR7 Dave
06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I guess my comments were meant to put some reality into the whole SC thing for people. The mods list above is pretty meager but at the same time $3000+ is not chump change. My suggestion for those who have rather basic SC's is to look at the $3000 price tag and the reliability factor of their car and ask themselves "are they ready to take the next step?"

I know many SC owners who spent a lot of money on their cars hoping to avoid the "upgrade" thing later but in the mean time they have overspent their budgets and have cars that either run poorly or not at all. There are significant enough challenges that present themselves at the 300+rwhp level that most people would be wise to approach it in steps.

XR7 Dave
06-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, It feels great till you line up to one of these new performance vehicles from today and leaves you in the dust.
Gotta keep up with the times, thats why I do it, otherwise the bird feels slow and dated, I want to go as far as to say boring. But being able to drive it often has its benefits and I agree with you there. This car makes more the 250rwhp when it's not 100 deg out. ;) I've driven the XR7 at 425rwhp and for the most part this car is more fun on the street now because it is tamer and has better traction. There aren't many cars now that will outrun it as is.

deepbluesc
06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Having been on the 'inside track' with Ford as these cars were developed and brought to production, there is a rather wide disparity among equals here. Unlike the Mustang GT where Ford took a "Zero defects" mentality, the SC was not expected to appeal to 'the masses'. You can take any number of SCs and get a wide range of 'power readings'.

My '89 made 250/350 on a humid, 90 degree day with an MPII with custom ESM plenum and 3/4" top with a 10% OD SC pulley and 5% jackshaft, a double IC with no fan, 70 mm TB 73mm C&L MAF calibrated to 30# injectors with 38# injectors and a ZR Motorsport CAI. Also, a Flowmaster Force II with no cats. (Original gas tank included!)

Add that up and I don't think you're at $1500 (yes some parts are used). My car drives as stock as any I've seen and is @ 98k miles on the original HG.

My point is without establishing a baseline for YOUR car, the expectations for particular mods is scewed. I think you need to get to a Dyno Day, particularly with Dave D. and know where you are right now. From there, you can decide what is the best course of action for your car, your budget and your expectations.

I think we have all become guilty of trying to over mod these cars without respect for how that effects the daily driveability and overall reliability.

I say this from the perspective of one who has amassed parts over a 7 year period and has put less than 200 miles on the car in that same period...because I need this part or that to make it worth the effort to start installing them. I've come to realize what I truly miss is just driving that car.

There! I got it off my chest!

92sclikenew
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I've come to realize what I truly miss is just driving that car.

great line thats so true about anything you really like, once you cant do it you just plain miss it.no matter what it is or how fast a car is..

f2tmx6
06-18-2007, 09:30 PM
great line thats so true about anything you really like, once you cant do it you just plain miss it.no matter what it is or how fast a car is..

thats is ohhhhhhhh so true...good job taking step one..admitting it:D

f2tmx6
06-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by deepbluesc
I've come to realize what I truly miss is just driving that car.

thats is ohhhhhhhh so true...good job taking step one..admitting it:D

David Neibert
06-19-2007, 11:12 AM
This car makes more the 250rwhp when it's not 100 deg out. ;) I've driven the XR7 at 425rwhp and for the most part this car is more fun on the street now because it is tamer and has better traction. There aren't many cars now that will outrun it as is.

:confused:

Sorry, but for 99% of people, 425 rwhp is going to be much much more fun on the street than 250 rwhp. It's not so much power that the car is hard to drive, yet it's enough to put the beat down on just about any other car on the road.

David

XR7 Dave
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
:confused:

Sorry, but for 99% of people, 425 rwhp is going to be much much more fun on the street than 250 rwhp. It's not so much power that the car is hard to drive, yet it's enough to put the beat down on just about any other car on the road.

David

99% of people can't afford nor are capable of maintaining a 425rwhp SC so that's really kind of a mute point. ;)

T-bird Tim
06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
As long as I can run low/consistent 13 second times and keep it reliable I'm happy. 12s would be just icing on the cake!

David Neibert
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
As long as I can run low/consistent 13 second times and keep it reliable I'm happy. 12s would be just icing on the cake!

Yeah...that's what I used to say too. Within a day or two of getting that low 13 second time slip, you'll want high 12s, then mid 12s, low 12s, high 11s..ect..ect..

It's a sickness, and I got it bad.

David

T-bird Tim
06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I hear ya. I'm trying to tell myself 13s are ok so I can keep from spending so much money. But like you said I know once I get there I'll want more. It's an addiction.

ricardoa1
06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi,

My name is Ricardo....
I am a an addict, trying to control it.
"Everyone Claps"
Thanks.

T-bird Tim
07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Installed the U/D pulleys. So current mods are the U/Ds, MP2 blower w/ matching plenum and 10% O/D. 76mm MAFS, 75 mm T-body, 3.5 CAI, B&M shifter, Custom magna-flow exhaust from the stock manifolds back. It's a 2.5-3-2.5 MP copy with magna flow resoantor and mufflers. Looking at a set of 42injectors next. Right now am running the stock 2.73 gears and stock 30lb injectors. Any guesses at my new HP #s?

Tcian
07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I have been reading these posts for the last few years, (and had a bunch of help fixing things thanks to all you guys) but I can't help but wonder at the dirrection that you all take with your cars. I never upgrade anything unless it needs to be replaced anyway...next year when the car is 19 years old I will break down and replace (upgrade) the exhaust. This 89 supercoupe has been a blast to drive for 18 years now. My car does not compete with mustangs from red light to red light. The car was designed to be and is a high speed touring car. I play with the big boys on the big road. Things like 145K aston martins, mercedes, bmw's and once even a 10 cylinder viper. In all cases, they had the better car, but do to the supercoupe's performance at highway speeds, they all back off before I hit the speed limiter. Brings a big smile to my face everytime. Of course, if you guys get caught you only get a ticket, but if I get caught, they will throw away the key.

Micahdogg
07-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Isn't the point moot anyway? Why do people always say the point is mute? I'm bringing moot back.

As for the SC being enjoyable at lesser power? To a degree maybe. But would any of us have bought our cars without the supercharger and just a 140HP V6? Probably not. We all decided how much power we liked, and at the time that most of us got our SC, 210-230HP was respectible.

The times have changed though and now your average base model naturally aspirated V6 Mustang makes 210 HP and only 46 ft-lbs less torque than the infamous 5.0L. Keeping in the tradition of owning a Super Coupe that makes respectible power....some of us have elected to change with the times.

300 HP at the crank was a solid number when the badest F-bodies were still LT1 powered...and when Mustang GT's were cranking out a whole 265HP. But now more than ever the SC is starting to show it's age and something like 425 RWHP is really not as impressive as it was. For a 3.8L V6 Super Coupe...yes, it's impressive. But the LS1's have made any 300 RWHP number look mainstream and ever since their debut the Lightning's, 03-04 Cobra's and LS2's have made any 400 RWHP number look really mainstream.

Then for the past decade you've had the same displacement 3.8L GN's cranking out ungodly numbers, along with most any other turbo v6 car ever made...and it makes you just a little less content with stock or mild performance.

T-bird Tim
07-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Agreed!!!!

Flex
07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Gotta keep up with the times, thats why I do it, otherwise the bird feels slow and dated, I want to go as far as to say boring. But being able to drive it often has its benefits and I agree with you there.

Two weeks ago, my brother ate a ragtop Porche with me in the passenger seat. There's more to winning a race than just how big the hp numbers are that are advertised by the manufacturer. Nail the right combination of go fast parts on any supercharged engine and performance can improve substantially.

95pearlbird
07-17-2007, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=Tcian;649870]I have been reading these posts for the last few years, (and had a bunch of help fixing things thanks to all you guys) .
The car was designed to be and is a high speed touring car. I play with the big boys on the big road. Things like 145K aston martins, mercedes, bmw's and once even a 10 cylinder viper. In all cases, they had the better car, but do to the supercoupe's performance at highway speeds, they all back off ....

I have to chime in and agree with how Tcian sees it here. A big point is the legality of it all, but that's a different issue, >whether you get caught or not.<
I'd prefer to leave that part out of this post.LOL
A track has a far higher safety factor, I agree, but you don't put 100K on at the 1/4 mile dragstrip.
A lot has to do with where you live. I live in the desert and frequently commute over 100 miles each way. Lots of wide open spaces. That's where the SC really shines..... as a high-speed (luxury=weight) cruiser/coupe. I too, have taken on cars costing ten times as much as my SC, and they don't outrun me, they try to keep up.:D..... I love that part! I love the fact that I can cruise at 90, pulling under 3 grand, and still have plenty of punch left should I desire to hit the boost and take it up a notch. There's nothing like catching another gear at 110!
At cruising speeds, I can also get great mileage out of my SC.

There are definitely two sets of SC'ers, with some cross-mingling. Again, where you live, and how close the strips are to you, is a big factor.
This isn't immediately apparent to new SCCOA readers....
Many are after more and more HP to get lower and lower ET's. While fun, this addiction has a high cost to it, and also tears up axles and trans's badly. The SC will do this fine, but wasn't really designed for it. It does create some fun faces when the competition sees that it's "only" a six cylinder, though!!! If I wanted a car for the strip, I would start with one that weighed 3000 lbs. or less to start with. But that's just me. In NO WAY am I putting down anyone who chooses this route for their SC. Many of their developments help us ALL.
But I see many that choose this "strip" route, NOT driving their cars as much, and that hurts.....
The SC is a beautiful car to drive, whether on an open desert highway or a twisty mountain two lane!
The combination of styling, handling, luxury, fuel mileage, and power(!!) is so very close to perfect, I see no reason to go out and buy a new car, even if it does come with 400HP. It would only cost me more in gas, insurance and payments. I doubt that it could be much more fun.
So there really are two sides to the SC family. One is the get there quick people, the other is the hold it on fast people. The cruisers will never be putting 4.10's in their SC, the strip racers can't wait to put them in.
The SC also does a great job of sitting in between these two uses...it can whoosh from 30 to 80, then go right out and hit 130. What a great car!
May we all be one big happy family....
On wings instead of hooves, with 6's instead of 8's.
Keeping it driveable to where it's enjoyable and reliable is more important to me than peak HP at high rpms. I also love the super-broad torque range that the blower gives this car.....and that whine!
But that's just me, Different Strokes for Different Folks... at least I'm not driving a Toyishiondabishiu!...or an exploding fiberglass car. *LOL*
Rumbling Big Blocks are cool, but not on the freeway or the gas station.
The main reason we own these cars? Because they are fast, smooth and powerful, and other people don't think they are.
Having a quick "sleeper" is a joy all it's own.
Thanks AGAIN to everyone at the SCCOA for all the help and advice with keeping these great cars on the road!!!

Flex
07-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Amen brother.

Micahdogg
07-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Acceleration to me is more fun...and more safe. At sustained high speed, things happen very quickly.

David Neibert
07-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I have been reading these posts for the last few years, (and had a bunch of help fixing things thanks to all you guys) .
The car was designed to be and is a high speed touring car. I play with the big boys on the big road. Things like 145K aston martins, mercedes, bmw's and once even a 10 cylinder viper. In all cases, they had the better car, but do to the supercoupe's performance at highway speeds, they all back off ....

I have to chime in and agree with how Tcian sees it here. A big point is the legality of it all, but that's a different issue, >whether you get caught or not.<
I'd prefer to leave that part out of this post.LOL
A track has a far higher safety factor, I agree, but you don't put 100K on at the 1/4 mile dragstrip.
A lot has to do with where you live. I live in the desert and frequently commute over 100 miles each way. Lots of wide open spaces. That's where the SC really shines..... as a high-speed (luxury=weight) cruiser/coupe. I too, have taken on cars costing ten times as much as my SC, and they don't outrun me, they try to keep up.:D..... I love that part! I love the fact that I can cruise at 90, pulling under 3 grand, and still have plenty of punch left should I desire to hit the boost and take it up a notch. There's nothing like catching another gear at 110!
At cruising speeds, I can also get great mileage out of my SC.

There are definitely two sets of SC'ers, with some cross-mingling. Again, where you live, and how close the strips are to you, is a big factor.
This isn't immediately apparent to new SCCOA readers....
Many are after more and more HP to get lower and lower ET's. While fun, this addiction has a high cost to it, and also tears up axles and trans's badly. The SC will do this fine, but wasn't really designed for it. It does create some fun faces when the competition sees that it's "only" a six cylinder, though!!! If I wanted a car for the strip, I would start with one that weighed 3000 lbs. or less to start with. But that's just me. In NO WAY am I putting down anyone who chooses this route for their SC. Many of their developments help us ALL.
But I see many that choose this "strip" route, NOT driving their cars as much, and that hurts.....
The SC is a beautiful car to drive, whether on an open desert highway or a twisty mountain two lane!
The combination of styling, handling, luxury, fuel mileage, and power(!!) is so very close to perfect, I see no reason to go out and buy a new car, even if it does come with 400HP. It would only cost me more in gas, insurance and payments. I doubt that it could be much more fun.
So there really are two sides to the SC family. One is the get there quick people, the other is the hold it on fast people. The cruisers will never be putting 4.10's in their SC, the strip racers can't wait to put them in.
The SC also does a great job of sitting in between these two uses...it can whoosh from 30 to 80, then go right out and hit 130. What a great car!
May we all be one big happy family....
On wings instead of hooves, with 6's instead of 8's.
Keeping it driveable to where it's enjoyable and reliable is more important to me than peak HP at high rpms. I also love the super-broad torque range that the blower gives this car.....and that whine!
But that's just me, Different Strokes for Different Folks... at least I'm not driving a Toyishiondabishiu!...or an exploding fiberglass car. *LOL*
Rumbling Big Blocks are cool, but not on the freeway or the gas station.
The main reason we own these cars? Because they are fast, smooth and powerful, and other people don't think they are.
Having a quick "sleeper" is a joy all it's own.
Thanks AGAIN to everyone at the SCCOA for all the help and advice with keeping these great cars on the road!!!

Most of the people who race their SCs, only do it a couple times a year at a meet like the Shootout or to test how much faster or slower the car got after doing some mods. There are only a handfull of what I would call serious racers with cars that were modded specifically to perform better in the 1/4 mile.

Most of the guys here with 11 or 12 second cars, can still enjoy all the stuff you listed above, but they do burn a little more gas. If modded correctly you can have a much improved version of what Ford built. By todays standards a stock SC is a real pooch. Everytime I read Road & Track or Car & Driver nearly every car they test runs high 14s or better. I'm not talking about high dollar sports cars...I'm talking about Honda Accords, Nissan Altimas, Pontiac GTPs, Dodge Chargers, Mustangs ect..ect..

The stock SC was great back when it was new and one of the faster cars on the road, but these days it needs an extra 100 HP to equal the performance of the average new car. The notion that a modded SC is somehow less capable of doing anything a stock SC can do is false. If done correctly it can do everything better, with the possible exception of fuel economy.

David

T-bird Tim
07-18-2007, 12:08 PM
I will gladly pay for using more gas if it means the car is going to be more fun than the way it came stock.

S_Mazza
07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Well, if I had a lot of cash and mad fabrication skills, I would probably "upgrade" to a blown LS1 engine. But that would be after totally refreshing the whole suspension and fixing all the little body issues.