Horsepower expectations ?

T-bird Tim

I have a 92 5-speed SC. I recently added a 76mm MAFS, 3.5 CAI and 75mm T-body. Am going to add magna flow exhaust tomorrow. The set up will be:
2.25" down tubes, no cats, 2.5" inch into magna flow resonator into 3" pipe, splitting in the rear to two 2.5" pipes into magna flow mufflers. With just these upgrades can anyone give me a realistic horsepower gain? I noticed a seat-of-the pants feel right away from just the intake mods so I would expect even more from the exhaust upgrade. Thanks

Seems like alot of money for 20HP. I guess all the claims of bolting on 20 hp for intake and 20 more for exhaust are just b.s. I'm still going to do it though. You can never have enough horse power. I guess I wont see any real results until I upgrade the blower and change gears. At least the head gaskets should be safe after opening the exhaust up.

Seems like alot of money for 20HP. I guess all the claims of bolting on 20 hp for intake and 20 more for exhaust are just b.s. I'm still going to do it though. You can never have enough horse power. I guess I wont see any real results until I upgrade the blower and change gears. At least the head gaskets should be safe after opening the exhaust up.

You could spray it

My buddy mixed nitro-methane through a tank of gas in his 89 5-speed once. Picked his car up 20rwhp and 20rwtq. His car has exhaust, cai, and a 73mm maf and it made 230rwhp and 330ft/lbs that day if I remember correctly.

His car makes about the same rwhp and torque as a stock SC makes at the flywheel with just those few mods.

Last edited:
I did a set of heads for my cousin and it helped his car out a bunch. He has the stock Throttle Body with a 73mm C&L, 42lb injectors, coated rotors in the early style Eaton, Double IC, w/ a 5speed, and stock cam. He put down 228 to 230 at the rear wheels on the last dyno run. I am thinking it was a Dynomax????? The valves in the heads are stock just unshrouded with a bunch of work I did on the exhaust side. I did work on the intake side but just some mild stuff for now.

Yes...they are BS. Big power comes from heads, cam and blower upgrades.

David

David is, as usual, right on the money here. Power comes from increasing air flow. The usual bolt-ons are there to support that. Heads and a cam are where your bang for the buck is. The expensive blower can even wait. There are enough cars out there still using the stock M90 making lots of horsepower.

Ira

Yeah, I didnt get that either. Anyway, I think I may be getting the MP3 soon. I'm sure that will help. I will probably buy most of the parts used to save some money but it will come along eventually. What do yall think? 50lbers with a 255 should handle the fuel needs. Ive already got the dream sheet worked out, just need to convince the wife that I need the parts or the car wont run right!

my boss brought his mustang mag in to show me

it had a stock sc, dynoed at 190hp/278tq.

with bills 5% pulley on the sc
another 5% on the j/s
3" intake and bigger mafs(75mm?) and TB(75mm?)
new flowmaster catback
stock i/c with a fan

the car put out around 230hp/338tq

all this on 180K motor

also i am pretty sure that the stock injectors can handle up to 240 hp depending on the duty cycle, and if its a 90sc, probably up to 380 with 36lb injectors

Last edited:
probably no

at the wheels ??

there are a few equations ive seen . im going on the one in the magazine.

whats our duty cylce? BSFC..these things change that number. and how big are the injectors in your sc? mines are 30. mines a top of 240hp...dont know if its flywheel or not. if you have 36 then its 288

and apparently 50s should be good till 400hp

use this website, and see what you come out with
http://www.injector.com/injectorselection.php

Last edited:
Back