Stripping paint off of valve covers

TSC89

SCCoA Member
I have a set of the cast valve covers that the paint is peeling off of. What would be the best way to strip them down? Thanks.

I have used aircraft stripper with awesome results, just dont leave it on too long. It will get all the paint off and any grease or oil. You can get it at any Auto Zone. After all the paint is off, lightly sand and prime. Now your ready to paint. Just make sure to use high temp paint.

If you know of anyone around that can Bead Blast them, have it done. Makes it so much easier to polish.

Don't bother polishing magnesium unless you want to do it every day. That stuff shines up great, but tarnishes quicker than brass.

And I second the aircraft stripper. I use it at the car wash. Once the paint bubbles, just blast it with water to clean the goo off. You'll have to go over it with sandpaper, but the stripper should take off 75% of the paint.

If you know of anyone around that can Bead Blast them, have it done. Makes it so much easier to polish.

If I was closer I would do them for you. I just bought a new blast cabinet and a big box of glass beads. I have been itching to play with it...

Watch the type of media you use to blast the magnesium covers. I had one set ruined by an over zealous sand blaster. Those plastic pellets may work, but the sand ruined the detail on the Ford lettering and lines on the covers. It will eat the magnesium very quickly.

I would think the glass beads would be fine, as on the box it says it is great for blasting aluminum as it doesn't pit it up. If I were to do it, I would probably try it on the underside to get the pressure right on the regulator.

Napa

I used a spray on paint stripper from NAPA. Let it sit for a little while and then hit it with a water hose. The old paint came off with no problem.

Sent the valve covers out and had them powercoated blue.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back