stang parts vs. t-bird parts

wauseonbird

ok...I want to make my bird faster. but I'm not sure what mustang parts will fit onto my thunder bird. I know the cam from a stang will fit, but other than that...I'm clueless! :confused: so what parts will fit a 96 Thunderbird with the 4.6L?

Anything limited to the block should fit. Crank, rods, pistons, cams, timing gears, heads, etc.... Once you get around the block you have to be mindful. Headers probably won't fit. I don't think any induction system will "fit", but can be modified.

It would probably be easier if you listed what you wanted.

You might want to try TCCOA.com .. there are way more people who have advice on what you can or cant do with the 4.6 Engine.
Yeah the Mustang Cams will work ( you mean stock PI cams ? ) .. that would be a good upgrade, along with the PI intake manifold. ( you might gain 20 or so RWHP ), and a Chip would be great for the engine. But as far as installing aftermarket parts, I guess it really depends on what you want to do and how much horsepower you are trying to make with the engine.

- Dan

Headers

I know this is kind of off topic, (since he has a 4.6) but I have stang stainless steel headers on my SC

Thats a long debated subject as far as wether the Mustang headers are more beneficial than stock ported exhaust manifolds ... I have a set of Mustang headers in my shed, but I opted to port my stock 94 Manifolds after reading through these Forums .. :rolleyes:

As for the 4.6 headers, same deal .. stock ported might flow better than JBA's for example ( without any cracking issues either ) .. the best set of headers is going to be Kooks longtubes, same deal with the SC :cool:

- Dan

I dont see why they wouldn't flow more - the collectors are nearly twice the size... it would seem to flow more - I know it changed the way it sounded

Bacondoggy..I dont think anyone can see how a 2 inch collector manifold will flow better or the same as a header except when on this forum....

Regardless I have a 4.6 engine and its running the ford motorsport stainless headers. From what I know you need to use Tbird specific headers.

Engine wise you can go mustang of course. I have a complete late model supercharged PI motor in mine

Ive always wondered about using the Ford motorsports headers on the Tbird .. but never got a straight answer even after searching ..

I have a 2003 Explorer engine in my garage right now that Im going to be putting into my 91 Tbird .. I also have a set of JBA headers but from all the bad things Ive heard ( and I think mine are cracked, I was always wondering why it sounded like I had an exhaust leak ) . So I was considering porting a set of stock manifolds ..

So what needs to be done to put the Motorsports headers on the Tbird ?? Modification to the steering shaft ? Let me know if you have any suggestions.

- Dan

Back