Running out of ideas.....??? Need Help

Stlboy93wyteSc

Few months back I suddenly lost my power steering. After reading some forums i found out that I could unplug the wire going to my EVO. Power steering was back. After awhile I noticed i was leaking power steering fluid, looked like it was from the Evo where it connected into the pump. Went and bought new high pressure hose w/variable assist. Got it installed, leaking stopped but when i plugged the wire back up....no power steering. Next day i could hear my pump whining. Decided to replace also, since had factory pump since 93. Also change fluid from regular to ATF. Now....plugged wire back up..firm ride works, no whining...but no power steering and firm gives code 16....(EVO circuit short.) If unplugged again the power steering comes back but pump makes loud whining noise. Could this be the wires have a short or do i need a new rack. Just tired of dealing with this problem since this is my daily driver. Any answers?? Also still have slight leak...I think this could be other hose to p/s pump. Thanks!!!

The EVO actuator is the thing on the pump that you're plugging the wires into.
If there is a short in the wires then you will get an error code even when they are not plugged into the EVO actuator.

Although I never lost my power steering the insulation on the wires to that plug had shrunk back exposing them and they shorted anytime it twisted. I sprayed it with brake parts cleaner to get the oil off of it and then coated it it with RTV to reinsulate. The only difference I've noticed now is that when I'm in a fairly tight turn the steering wheel no longer twitches back and forth as I turn it.

Well I will go and buy a new EVO actuator and see if that does anything for me. If not maybe I need to see if i can find a set of new wires. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if it works.

Back