Fuel

S

SCJamesB

hey i got this midgrade fuel and its for boats so that means its dyed, i was wondering if i could use this at the track on my 90'sc, its fresh fuel and i dont want it to go to waste. my biggest worry is that the dye coats everything . would this be okay in my supercharger etc. ? thanks for your help.

James

Your biggest worry shouldn't be the dye but rather the octane rating of the fuel. I'm not sure what they call "midgrade" wherever you are, but if it has an octane rating of less than 92, I wouldn't run it. Especially not at the track where the knock sensor is going to be pulling timing even with premium (92+) fuel.

When running lower octane fuel (hopefully by accident or necessity if premium isn't available), you can pull the octane plug to retard the timing by a few degrees. This will negatively affect engine performance, so I don't think it's something one would want to do at the track :p

FYI: The supercharger/intercooler/piping wouldn't see the dye. These cars are MPFI (multi port fuel injected) meaning that fuel is injected into each individual intake runner right in front of the intake valve. The only thing that would see the dye is the fuel system (obviously), the very end of the intake runners and the intake valves.

Vince

Back