PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil...head gasket???

TurboZeke418
04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
I have been a Tbird Turbocoupe owner for many years and have a stock MINT 88 TC which I will never part with. But, I love the SC's and I am looking to pick one up to start off with. I can get her for about $900 and she has 76,000 miles. The current owner stated that there is water in the oil though, but it does still run. This car is an 89 and I've heard that ford's were notorious for cracked heads/blown head gaskets in the 3.8's. How much work is this to do for a backyard mechanic. I tinker here and there, but the most I've done is change the head gasket on my older no longer owned 88 TC which was pretty easy since she was just a 4 cyl. Thanks for any input!

91supacoop
04-26-2007, 01:18 AM
once you take off all the inter cooler tubing and the supercharger, it's just a regular motor under there and the headgaskets are no harder to do than any other car.

However, with it sitting with water in the oil there is no saying what condition the bearings are in. Unless you are willing/have the knowledge to rebuild the bottom end I would be cautious and wary.

Mike Puckett
04-26-2007, 09:16 AM
If the engine has been run with water in the oil I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

the-big-e
04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
It all depends.....

the-big-e
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
How long has the water been in the oil and how long was it run in that condition.....

I would negotiate the price down a little.....

There are lots of SC motors around that you can drop in and go......

IMHO......

It is better to swap out an SC engine that has a blown head gasket (and who knows what else) with a known good running engine....